Chapter Eighteen

It was almost two in the morning when Dune and I trudged back through the door of the bunkhouse. Some of the others were still partying, but most of us were beginning to retire for the night. What with the nightmares, both of us had quickly joined in the crowd that was dispersing to the bunkhouses.

As I headed for my room, another Roman candle began going off. I gasped, and my hand flew to my chest. Dune was quickly at my side. "Are you okay?"

I nodded, commanding myself to breathe calmly. "I didn't realize that they were still setting off fireworks."

He nodded slowly. "They usually set off one or two at a time as long as someone is out there." I jumped again as a screamer shot up into the sky, then erupted, the flash of light visible in our window. "Do you want to stay in my room?"

I shivered. I hadn't slept with Dune since that first night over a week ago, yet the feeling of his back against mine was still imprinted in my mind. It was tempting, oh so tempting.

I straightened my back. "Thanks, but I think I'll be okay." I flinched at another firework, but gave him a reassuring smile. "Really."

Dune gave me a look, but I met his gaze, and he finally sighed. "Alright. If you need me, you know where I'll be." With that, he turned to his room, and moments later the latch was clicking shut.

*

Around me, there is nothing but darkness. I'm standing in a room, but I can see nothing. Then, a light turns on, and she walks in. "Hello, Rylie," She purrs.

I'm instantly on edge. "What do you want?"

She suddenly bares her teeth, and snaps her fingers. "For you to listen."

Bang! A spot of light is illuminated to my left as the shot rings out. I turn just in time to see Dad fall, his eyes focused on me as he goes still. "NO!" I scream, turning back to her in fear.

She smirks, and brings up her hand again. Seth steps forward into the light, a pistol in his hand. He points off to my right now. She snaps her fingers. Bang! Another spotlight, this time as Jonathon gasps, hitting his knees on the floor before his head follows, crimson blossoming from his head.

I whirl back to her conniving grin, tears streaming down my face. "What are you doing?!" I scream, taking a few steps toward her.

"Making you understand the consequences." She replies, and Seth points just behind me. Bang! I hear a moan before a hand clamps on my shoulder. I whirl around just as Christie faints, her hand falling from me as she collapses in her circle of light.

I'm hyperventilating now, feeling like everything is pressing down on me. The people I love the most are lying around me, their life trickling away, and I fall to my knees, gazing into her cold eyes. "Please," I beg, reaching for her and Seth. "Please don't do this."

She only huffs in disgust, waving to Seth. He drags someone forward, forcing them to their knees. I don't even have to see his face to know who it is. Seth smiles as he slams the barrel of his gun against his victim's temple. "Say goodbye, Rylie," He growls, his finger squeezing the trigger.

Ka-BOOM!

"No!" I screamed, pulling myself into a sitting position and reaching for him, knowing he was about to be blown apart. I didn't recognize where I was; all I knew was that he was gone. The sobs began racking my body, and I curled into myself, wrapping my arms around my sheet-tangled legs and burrowing my head into them. I couldn't save him.