Spells and Rituals

Chapter 14

****Lucas****

The entire ride back my mother nagged me about my insensitive behavior. I tuned her out for most of it. It's crap, she can threaten Fade but I can't. Bull.

"How do you know Fade huh?" I asked ignoring her question about how my father raised me.

"It's a long story." She said.

"I'm listening," I said back.

"Watch your tone with me! You aren't in any position to be sassy with me. I will explain when we are at the house." She said.

I don't trust my mother, the way she acts sometimes throws me off. I'll have to speak to her later.

When we had finally arrived at the house, Mark got out of the car first to help Daniel out on the other side, Daniel protested saying he could take care of himself, that he was fine and wasn't beaten to badly. But Mark insisted that he help Daniel. He really did love him.

I got out of the car next followed by my mother. Mark helped Daniel into the house, limping up one stair at a time. I walked ahead of Mark and Daniel to get the door for them.

Daniel looked up at me, "Thanks." He said smiling. My mother walked past next, not even looking at me. I rolled my eyes.

Mark helped Daniel to the couch in the living room just past the dinning room. They sat down on the couch, my mother sat in one of the seats opposite the couch I sat in the seat at the head of the room.

"Daniel, we haven't had a proper introduction, I am Jackie, Lucas' mother. How are you feeling?" My mother said kindly.

"Nice to meet you, and I am feeling alright....not the best....but alright." He said, smiling slightly.

"Mom....can we please talk about the situation on hand now, please?" I asked polity.

"Yes, we should. Your first question was how I know Fade? Correct?" My mother asked, sitting back in the chair and crossing one leg over the other.

I on the other hand, sat forward in my seat, already becoming impatient. "Yes.." I said.

"He and I use to be lovers, he was such a nice man, nothing like your father. He and I both had the same past, rejected by our mates, lied to, cheated, hurt...." She shook her head, as if trying to push the memory aside.

"He and I shared a certain bond. I loved him, deeply. But he began to change one day, into the man he is now. A heartless, cruel, emotionless, killer. And it was all because of these "friends" he met at this bar." She air quoted friends, symbolizing they weren't true friends.

"He started hurting me, not physically, but verbally. Saying I shouldn't be alive, I should be dead like the children I raise. I left him. And I only saw him get worse. Me leaving I think is what set him off. But I still love him. Though I hate him." She shook her head again, leaving the memory behind. "That is how I know Fade." She said, emotionless.

"I'm sorry about that mom." I said.

She looked at me and smiled, "No need for sorry's, it's been over for a long time."

I smiled back, "Alright well I have a plan, but we need help. We're going to be "recruiting" a new member to our revenge squad." I said, air quoting recruiting. It's not really recruiting, more like, hey you wanna help? Join the team!

"Ouu, do tell!" My mother said excitedly.

"Well this guy is a wizard, though he doesn't like to be called one. Hates the name actually. So just call him Garrus. He lives in Chestnut Spells town, and knows it like the back of his hand. He's been a friend of the family for generations now. I think he'll help us...hopefully."