Desperation 28

RC's Point of View:

(Matagal siyang nanahimik kaya deserve po niya ang Chap na ito. Haha.)

The feeling was so horrible as I watched G from afar with the guy she said she's engaged to. It pained me, really. Ilang ulit kong nakita si G dati na inaaligiran ng mga lalaki pero kampante ako noon dahil alam ko kung gaano niya ako kamahal. Well, now, it felt so bad. I didn't realize it was going to hurt this much.

I've known G as the person who never gives up. Ang saklap dahil may sukdulan pala talaga ang lahat. She has just given up on me. Hanggang ngayon, the thought about it still pricks my heart. The woman I believe I will never lose has given up.

***

Matagal ko na talagang napapansin ang babaeng palaging kasama ni Sophia. Sinusungitan ako lagi pero tinititigan ako sa malayo. I found it annoying. And the girl can really be annoying. Masyado siyang maarte just because everyone in school always notices her like she's someone so special. There's nothing special about her.

On the other hand, Sophia was the smartest girl I've known in my life and I can't help but adore her. Of all the traits, it's wits that wins my heart. Sophia has the most impressive brain and she has such a cute face. Her father, being my grandmother's favorite godson, always visits home every weekend with Sophie even when we're still 10. I had a secret admiration of her since the first day I talked to her. Years passed and everytime her family comes over, I felt the same towards her. I still adore her. Kalaunan, niligawan ko siya. That's when she turned 15.

"Sophia, 'yang kaibigan mo, may problema ba sa'kin?" I asked her one time after an encounter I had with her bestfriend at the cafeteria.

"H-ha? I... I don't think so."

"I have this feeling that she doesn't approve me for you."

"Rielle, don't be ridiculous. She doesn't know anything. Nobody does. Nobody will," she replied, making me uncomfortable of how indignant she was when saying that nobody is ever going to know about us.

Everytime we get the chance to talk alone, I always hate sliding this issue into our conversation. Firstly, it kind of insults me. Ikinakahiya ba niya ako? Why won't she want anyone to know about our relationship other than our families? I still don't get it. Second, it makes me so angry and we end up arguing. The worse, I always let her win. Gano'n naman dapat talaga. Kapag mahal mo, pinapanalo mo. Kapag mahal mo, lulunukin mo ang pride mo.

"Sophia... I still don't get why we-"

"Please don't start again, Rielle," she warned and with that, I retreated. Ayokong mag-away na naman kami.

The first year with Sophia was great. Despite the hurdles in our relationship, we made it through together. However, fate, being too good in mocking us all, intervened our smooth-sailing ride.

I hurried to the locker room one morning. It was just 6 so I expected to see no one in the room. Much to my astonishment, I saw a girl in uniform standing in front of my locker, I hid and freely watched her put something inside. It's my Sophia's bestfriend. That's the day I found out that she's the person behind my everyday greeting cards and books. She really knows me too well. She knows the stuff I like.

Matapos ko siyang mahuli, sinimulan kong basahin ang mga aklat na ibinigay niya sa'kin. It was strange because I was thinking of her the whole time I read the book. It was unfair to Sophia, I realized. So I stopped and decided to avoid her. Minsan nga, kapag hindi ko talaga maiwasang makasabay siya sa hallway o sa cafeteria, sinusungitan ko nalang siya.