Chapter 13

Chapter 13

“Aurora please read it” Hunter begged. He was sitting on my bed, reading an old car magazine that I had.

“No Hunter, if Jason doesn’t want people to read it then what makes you think he wants his dead best friend giving it to the girl that caused his death?” I snarl.

Hunter flinches.

“I’m sorry but it’s the truth. You’re dead. I can’t keep dancing around that”

At that moment my phone buzzes.

Amber.

I put it down, and tried to concentrate on my History homework. But something told me that American History wouldn’t help Hunter practically telling me telepathically to pick it up.

“Why don’t you look at it?” He asked.

“Because.”

“Because?”

“Because I don’t want to”

“That’s not a reason”

“Well it is for me”

Then the room was silent.

“Aurora, I know you’re mad at yourself. I know you blame yourself for what happened. It’s not your fault. You didn’t pull that trigger. Quinn did. You didn’t get yourself into that mess with him. I did.” Hunter said quietly.

I closed my eyes and took a couple of deep breathes.

“Just stop talking please”

“No. Aurora listen to me. You can’t just push Amber away. She’s your best friend. I would give anything to be with Jason again, driving up to where ever. Laughing at one more of our stupid jokes. Anything. You still have that.”

I knew that he was right. But I didn’t want to say it.

“Hunter it’s just-hard. I haven’t told anyone about… you know and-and it’s just hard to not feel guilty. I don’t deserve Amber.” I say, my voice wobbling.

“You do. Just check the message. Please? For me?” he asks.

I turn to look at him. He still was the strong guy that saved me on that night. November 16th. The guy who sat with a special ed student who was all alone even though everyone gave him grief about it. The guy who swept Emma off her feet and loved his family more than anything. The guy who had a future that was as bright as a supernova. And it was all taken away from him in a single BANG.

I understood now.

I reached over to my phone. Amber and me on the home screen at H&M when we went to the mall. The store clerk was so mad that we didn’t buy anything.

I smile.

“Hey, we’re driving to Santiago Beach, you in?”

I look at Hunter, a small grin on my face.

“What do you say we go for a ride?”