Chapter 8

Chapter 8  

November 16,2013

12:34pm

Amber and I drove fast in the car, running some red lights to get there faster.

“Everything’s gonna be finnnneeeee” Amber slurred from the passenger seat. She was clearly wasted and because I didn’t have as much as her to drink, I was driving.

I spun into the hospital parking lot, making skid marks on the pavement.

“Woaaaahhhhhhhh” Amber said, laughing.

I put the car in park and turned it off, pocketing the keys in Jason’s jacket.

“Where’d ya get the jacket? New boyfriend?” she said, trying to open the door.

I sat there quietly, knowing that Amber wouldn’t be acting like this if we had just stayed home. She wouldn’t be drunk. Hunter wouldn’t be shot and I wouldn’t have been raped. A big circle of Aurora making trouble. When we get into the waiting room, Emma, Anna and Jason were there. Emma was screaming into the phone, Anna trying to calm her down. Jason sat in a chair, his head in his hands.

“Mrs. Manx IT’S NOT A PRANK, PLEASE LISTEN” Emma yelled, her face totally red.

Amber stumbled and flopped into a chair and slumped down, closing her eyes. I stand there awkwardly. I had no idea what to do. Jason looked up and saw me, he nodded for me to come over.

“Hey” I say, sitting down slowly.

“Hey” he sniffles.

I’ve never seen a guy cry. Not even when my dad and mom were getting a divorce, dad never shed a tear. I could see that he was upset but the fact is he wasn’t overly upset because he was marrying some 20 something year old.

“So what’s going on?” I ask.

“Took him into surgery. He was shot point blank, Aurora, right in the chest. He was barley breathing when-when they took him in but” Jason stops and takes a deep breathe.

“I don’t know what I’m going to do if I lose him. I don’t” he says quietly.

“You still have Ranger and Joey. It’ll be fine Jason, trust me” I said.

It sounded more like I was trying to convince myself that everything was going to be okay.

Hours passed. Emma had finally convinced Hunters parents and sister that he was shot and within 10 minutes of when they hung up, Juliet came in with her pajama pants and tank top, her light brown hair tied in some bun.

“Where is he, where’s my brother?” she choked between sobs.

Emma ran to her comfort, consoling her. Hunter’s parents came flying in, demanding to see their son. The nurse took them to his room where they could wait for him in his hospital room. Amber was still sleeping, her black hair a mess.

Jason looked at me, his eyes still red from crying.

“Hey, where’d you get that jacket?” he said jokingly.

I smiled.

“Oh I don’t know, some guy was just like ‘this I’ll look pretty badass on you’. Plus it’s my color”

He smiles for a second, but it turns into a frown. I felt upset now that he wasn’t smiling anymore. Like a warm feeling spread over me but now it was gone.

And that cold feeling was going to be there for a while.