Chapter 6

Chapter 6

We sat on the couch, Hunter across from me, staring intently at the TV. He watched the news, his eyes growing bigger and bigger. Maybe even realizing how much he missed.

“How’s Jason?” He asked, not looking at me.

I shrug. “I haven’t talked to him. He’s been surrounded by your other friends anyways.”

“He talked about you a lot” He says quietly.

“Why?”

“I guess he liked you. I mean don’t get me wrong he could have any girl he wanted and a lot of girls wanted him. They hung on him all the time. Emma’s best friend Anna wouldn’t leave him alone. But he was focused on you, even though he would never admit it”

I could only stare at my hands. What do you even say to that?

“What about Emma?” He asked.

“Same as Jason”

Emma Harbert, caption of the cheerleading squad, was Hunter’s girlfriend. They had only started dating, but everyone knew they were crazy for each other. Everyone knew that. The night that Hunter died, Emma was in the waiting room screaming and crying until they had to drug her. She kept screaming “Is he okay? Is he suffering? Can I see him?” a question that everyone wanted to know. Nobody got the answer.

“I didn’t suffer. I wasn’t in pain. I don’t remember anything” He said, like he could read my mind.

“Why are you even here Hunter? The ruin my life even more?” I snarl, my anger boiling.

“Because you need help getting over that night. You did nothing wrong Aurora. Nothing. There was nothing you or anybody could do” he said.

I stood up, feeling my eyes welling up. “That’s were your WRONG Hunter, I had a chance and I screwed it up because I was SCARED. How lame is that? You died because I was SCARED. Because-“

“Because I was stupid?” he said.

I stopped, a tear slipped down my cheek.

“It was my fault, Aurora. I was the idiot.”

I sank down onto the couch, more tears slipped down my face.

Crying is weak. Crying is weak. Don’t cry, don’t cry don’t cry

“Crying is letting out your emotions. It’s normal.” Hunter said.

“I haven’t cried since-“

“I know”

He reaches for my hand, holding it. I felt like somehow I was ‘cheating’ on Emma. Holding hands with her dead boyfriend. I was the only one who could see his light wash jeans and his grey V-neck t shirt. It wasn’t fair. It wasn't fair that I was the only one who could see him but his girlfriend, parents, sister and best friend couldn't. It just wasn't