Chapter Twenty-nine: The speech

Chapter 29

Ms Lovejoy began striding into the forest, her purple robe rippling out around her. 'Ranger and Maddy come with me,' she called back.

Maddy was on the verge collapsing so weaving my arm around Maddy’s waist I helped her hobble after the principle. Adrenaline and fear ran through my veins, helping me stay awake even in the dead of the night. Ms Lovejoy waited for us, wanting to find more information from Maddy.

“How far away are they?” The principle had managed to calm down slightly but it was obvious she was still distressed.

'I don’t know, I only managed to get away from my school two nights ago because I heard the alarm go off first,' Maddy said with a shaky breath.

'Well if they were at your school two days ago then they would get here in only a few hours, if they planned on walking,' Ms Lovejoy calculated everything in her head.

We stopped at front of the school and I took a moment to catch her breath.

'Maddy, I want you to head towards the gym, Ranger help her up,' Ms Lovejoy continued, not even pausing before heading towards the first door. With a final slither of purple material she was out of sight, leaving Maddy and I alone.

“Come on we better head towards the gym.” Maddy said, moving away from me as she started walking by herself. I stood, silent and still.

“I don’t understand.” I finally spoke.

Maddy turned, her dull grey eyes catching onto mine and sending me a signal of pain and anguish. Slowly she walked back to me, and when she spoke her voice was soft but somewhat annoyed.

“Do you know about the four schools?”

I shook my head slowly, wondering where the conversation would lead. Maddy took a deep breath, as if reading herself for a long run. The trees slowly swayed in the background as the wind whistled quietly in my ear.

“There are four schools around the country, all like this one, and all with students with certain...gifts. The schools were formed by a group of people, for they had found the place where these powers formed, Ms Lovejoy was the leader of that group. That was about one hundred years ago.”Maddy waited a second for me to confirm my understanding before continuing.

“They still communicate and work as a group, keeping these powers a secret, for if the rest of the world found out about us it would be a bloodbath. The schools are on good terms and all believe in the same thing...except one. Mr Galan is the principle of Eximius Academy and he always thought that they were wasting these gifts; he always believed that they could be used for a greater purpose. Everyone knew of his feelings but he was always pushed to the side, outvoted. But know it seems he has taken his opinions to a new level.”Maddy looked up to the sky, her eyes watching the large glowing moon with revelation.

“His changed his school. The students are now his soldiers and his their commander. They came to our school, with no mercy and no sorrow. They killed so many of us; struck us down without a backwards glance. I was lucky enough to be watching the barriers at the time so I was the first to run. That’s where I found one of their students, badly wounded and slowly dying.”She paused, her eyes cast to the floor sadly.