Chapter Sixteen: Being the Sacrifice 2

I know this is an extremely short chapter but I think it is exciting and I really wanted to put it up. So here it is.

Enjoy :)

*************

Chapter Sixteen

They ran, head on, full speed towards each other. When they were about half way they began to shift. Slowly both of them crouched down, their hands and feet turning to paws, their bodies lengthening.

Sasha’s skin turned black and slick like a panthers, while Nate’s turned a light grey, his hair bristling along his body.

If I had to bet on one to win I would choose Nate, his wolf form was nearly twice her size, ferocious with giant teeth. Sasha’s panther form was thin, fast and elegant but I didn’t know how she would hold up against him.

I yelped as they neared each other, but at the last minute they both peeled off, running off to the side. They stopped, turned and started prowling in a circle. They kept moving in the same direction and I realized that they were spiralling inwards.

Suddenly they stopped, about two metres apart, Sasha arched her back and hissed, Nate went down on his back legs, his fur standing on end. Then, in a blink of an eye they pounced.

Sasha’s angry noises could be heard loudly and Nate’s menacing growls echoed in my ears.

I felt something shake underneath me. Glancing away from the fight I looked down at the chair. The seat shuddered; I shrieked grabbing hold of it and hooking my legs under. The chair rocked forward but only slightly. I scanned the crowd until I came to the boy with clasped hands. I glared as he smiled smugly at me. I watched as he shook his hands and at the same time the chair I was sitting on fell a few inches.

I was just about to yell at the boy when a loud shout caught my attention.  Sasha was stuck in a tight headlock by Nate; they had shifted back into their human forms. Sasha’s face was white from blood loss and she was gasping for breath. Half the kids in the gym were cheering while the others were watching in hope.

Looking on helplessly I saw Sasha start to shrink, turning into a small ginger kitten. She dropped to the floor, Nate’s arms groping thin air, and ran as fast as her little kitten legs could carry her.

The chair I was sitting on suddenly tilted dramatically and I quickly tightened my hold on the sides. I was close to dangling over the water, glancing down I saw something shiny and grey brake the surface briefly.

“Don’t let go,” I heard a panting breath from behind me. I looked back at the human form of Sasha. She had red blood dripping down her body from numerous claw wounds; luckily I couldn’t see any bites.

“Ummm,  ahhhh,” I wasn’t sure if I should do something to try and help her with her wounds or ask her to help me.

“Electric eels!” was all she panted out.

The bubbling surface of the water was suddenly full of eels as if they had heard Sasha say their name. I gasped and started clawing my way back as high as I could.

“Hold still,” She demanded and started walking backwards from the tank.

I suddenly realized what Blaze had meant. Sasha was supposed to save me, the sacrifice.

The chair tilted even more and I knew I wouldn’t be able to hold on for much longer. Sasha shifted into a female lion and got ready to run.

“Stay absolutely still; I don’t want to hurt you,” She said. It was weird hearing a cat speak.

I tried staying as still as I could but it was hard knowing that there was a tank full of electric eels right under me.

Sasha was just about to run towards me when a large brown wolf ran at her from the side. She flew across the floor before crumbling onto the wood. She didn’t move again and Nate tentatively prowled over to her lifeless body.

I cried out as everyone watched, on the edge of their seats.

Suddenly the chair I was sitting on flipped upside down which sent me falling towards the water.

I screamed in terror, all the lights in the gym went out putting us all in complete darkness. The water covered me as I went under, into the depths.