The Ending: Winter

When winter came, I was on the edge of my seat. Christmas was approaching the very next day, and it going to be the first winter I will spend with Sasuke after we started talking again post-war – but I did not have a gift for him at all.

Shopping for my Uncle, my senseis, the Kitsunes, and other friends were easy. Shopping for my boyfriend was not.

'What am I supposed to give him, tomatoes?!'

"Lingerie," Ino said breezily as I lamented to the girls during lunch.

I blinked. "I don't think he's into crossdressing...?"

Ino laughed. "Oh, you are so cute. Lingerie for yourself, of course!"

(Hinata passed out. Sora choked on her coffee.)

I stared at her, mouth opened in shock and she took it as a cue to carry on. "Guys love the lacy ones. And since its Christmas, you should go for red. Oh, imagine the lacy ones with the bows – "

"Look at the sky!" I yelped, standing up and throwing my share of the bill on the table. "I need to go! Bye!"

As I hurriedly left the shop with my cheeks flushed, I decided that Ino's suggestion wasn't actually too bad. I mean, I was obviously not going to buy lingerie – but the idea of buying something wearable for Sasuke would be good.

I was passing by the district of clothes shop when I spotted signature raven hair in front of me. I hung back, watching Sasuke with his back facing me, staring at the display in the front of a shop.

After a moment, he walked away from the shop without noticing me. I peered at the display, only to realise that he was looking at some of the scarves the shop was selling.

One of the scarves that caught my eye was a grey scarf with thin, muted gold stripes. Immediately, I pictured Sasuke wearing it, adjusting the scarf when he was cold.

My feet carried me into the shop and by the time I left the shop, I had a parcel in my hands.

The next day, since it was an off-day for both of us, we were walking around town together. Deciding that it was a perfect opportunity to give him my present, I presented my wrapped gift to him gleefully.

"Merry Christmas!"

Sasuke looked at my gift before handing me a wrapped parcel of his own, averting his eyes and mumbling a quick thanks as he accepted mine.

I excitedly unwrapped my parcel, wondering what he got me before I stopped. In my hands, I held the white version of the scarf I picked for Sasuke. I looked up, only to see him holding the grey scarf I gifted him with an equally surprised look in his eyes.

A moment passed before I burst into laughter.