Pein's Assault: The Girl in Love with Sasuke

"Uncle Kakashi!"

I ran to the door as soon as I heard the lock clicking. The moment he opened the door, I charged forward, wrapping my arms around him.

"Hello, little Mika-chan," Uncle Kakashi said, stroking my hair. "I was only gone for a short mission."

"It's still a dangerous mission," I mumbled into his chest. "And you were already weak from that Itachi Pursuit Mission."

We went to the dining room and sat down, sipping tea while we began to catch up. 

The last time I saw him was after the Itachi Pursuit Mission, when he took Team Seven and left for another mission immediately after that.

"How have you been, Mika?"

I set my teacup down. "... Okay. I just know that the Akatsuki – and Sasuke, for that matter – are getting stronger, so I have to be stronger too."

He gave me a closed eye smile and sipped his tea.

I fiddled with my teacup, biting my lip as I thought over my words carefully.

"Are you okay, Uncle Kakashi?"

"Mhm? Of course I am; Sakura healed us up just fine after the mission – "

"I mean, are you okay... after Jiraiya-san?"

Silence hung between us.

After we got back from the mission involving Itachi, we received news of Jiraiya's death. Although I was sad, I knew Uncle Kakashi was devastated.

"After all... you guys were very close."

Uncle Kakashi quietly chuckled. "You should be asking that of Naruto instead." He sighed. "What we must do know is to not let Jiraiya-san's death go to waste. But none of us can decipher the code he left for us."

He sighed again, pausing to sip his tea. "... we can only hope that Naruto will pull himself together and help out with the code soon."

* * *

True to Uncle's wish, Naruto came around and together, they managed to decipher the code. The following days passed in a blur of training, more training, and preparing for a fight against the Akatsuki.

"Ah!" I cried as Sekken's sword pushed me back.

I landed on my back with a wince, and when I looked up, Sekken's blade was pointed in my direction.

"And... stop!" Hideki-sensei yelled.

Sekken drew his blade back and helped me to my feet.