The Ending: Two Years Later

** A/N: This is NOT the last chapter; this is the ending arc! It will be clearly stated if it is the last ending/epilogue. Thank you!

* * *

Sasuke has not spoken to me for nearly two years.

Things were almost perfect after the war. With Uncle Kakashi named the Sixth Hokage and with Naruto's status, they were able to influence the Konoha Council and other Kages that Uchiha Sasuke was no longer a threat. After a great and long meeting, Sasuke was absolved of his missing-nin status, and was allowed back as a Konoha shinobi (although one still very much under supervision).

But he has not spoken a word to me since then. 

I remembered how it happened clearly. Two years ago, as I made my way to the Hokage's tower (which by then happened to be my new home), I saw him for the first time after he was declared a Konoha shinobi again. I watched him, holding my breath in anticipation for him to say something, anything.

He walked past me without a second glance.

I had wished and wished for him to say something, do anything to show that even though he may not return the feelings I have for him, he at least still considers me as a friend.

Now it's been near two years and I've stopped wishing.

* * *

"Sasuke's nineteen birthday party...?" I asked wryly. "Never thought of him as one who would throw a party."

Naruto waved a hand dismissively. "Nah, 'tis my idea! But it's fine; he needs this and he'll have a good time, believe it!"

I bit back a smirk. Some things - even as you grow older, win a war, and become one of the candidates to take over as the next Hokage - just never changes.

"I don't actually think he would want me there- "

"Sasuke doesn't want anybody there! Which means everyone should be there!" Naruto grinned again. "So just be there! I'm sure he'll appreciate a crowd. It's been a while since the lot of us caught up anyway."

That last bit was true. Ever since after the war till now, all of our efforts were recognized and we continued working even harder. Sakura was now one of the assistants to the current head medic. Naruto, after finally becoming a chuunin, shortly rose to become a jounin and was currently one of the candidates to be Seventh Hokage. Sora joined the ANBU and rose in ranks (and frequently complains about how she has to see Sasuke's face once in a while as he too became an ANBU), and helps Sekken out with his duties in their clan, while he juggles his responsibilities as clan head and being an A-ranked jounin.

And me?

Nearly two years of becoming a jounin and I'm just only a C-ranked jounin.

I think it's because of my Uncle.