22 || 𝐁𝐑𝐔𝐈𝐒𝐄 𝐄𝐀𝐒𝐈𝐋𝐘

Like the drawing?

****

𝐎𝐬𝐚'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

"So that's it?" David starts at his boss in his living room "You're gonna cast them out?"

"David, Raph, and those girls were just making their case. It'll be hard. They'll have to be careful. Raph was just being dramatic. But they are a strong group. They've done well on their own." Tobias replied, leaning on the wall. "I just think they can do better out there than here."

"What makes you think that?" Asked David.

"Well, shortly before they left, the girl called Criss told me they lost two so far in these five months."

"So?"

"So, they haven't lost a lot of people."

"But that's besides the point! We've lost people, too." Says David. "Leo's group needs this place to stay alive as survivors. Raph said he and his family will help keep this place up and running with a secured wall."

"Speaking of that, how is the wall?" Asked Tobias.

David sighed. "Not good. The men I sent out not too long ago returned and reported that there are supplies for them to scavenge." He shook his head. "Never mind that. You took charge so you can help people keep breathing. Let them stay, Tobias."

"...like I told them. I've thought about it." He said.

****

One step. That's all I needed to do. One step.

I used the ground to navigate for a few seconds before looking straight ahead of me. Baby steps first. One of Donnie's hands hovers above my left shoulder and the other extended outward, and I wrapped my tail around his left leg for support. "Okay, just take it nice a slow." He says.

"Slow," I repeat the keyword as I lift the peg leg up inches from the earth. "Slow." Centimeters from the ground to take the first step. As I lowered the peg leg to the ground, I felt the oddest pressure being forced on the tip of my stump.

"Good," Don said. Another step is made with my living leg. "That's it." Donnie grinned widely. The second step for my peg. "You got it, Osa."

His encouragement grew every second. We were both smiling under the sun and the clouds, enjoying this little milestone.

"You are one tough, little lady." It was another voice. Emma and Luke were walking up to us by the house. They got to witness me take my first steps since losing my leg.

"Thanks," I said to them. "I haven't done much, so I'm glad I'm up and moving again," I replied to the young nurse.

"That's great," Luke said before looking at his cousin. He whispers, "I'm gonna go look for them."

"It'll be dark soon." Said Emma, setting her hand on his shoulder. "Don't go out there."

"Who is gone? Is it the two people who went off hunting for a while?" Donnie asked them.