13 || 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐋𝐎𝐂𝐊

𝐎𝐬𝐚'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

I was halfway to being deep in slumber, but Raph's snoring kept me up and everyone else was getting the rest they needed. Sometimes I wished I wasn't a light sleeper. Regan and Patience kept close to each other on the floor as I and Donnie were on the bed inside this bedroom. My head was on the end and he buried his face into some soft pillows.

My chin and mouth rested on Donnie's ankle to view the two girls on the floor wrapped up in blankets and pillows.

The geodes on the shelf that used to belong to the young boy of this house sparkled with the moon's light shining through the window.

The more I stare into space, I began to think of Donatello's odd behavior. I figured that this was a significant situation, maybe something to evoke. I could feel he was different, a bit off on his path; not paying attention to anyone else except me.

After replaying those moments he and I shared, after comparing them and seeing they're completely different, I still don't understand. He gave me a ribbon to present a promise; a promise here in this world? Sooner or later, Donnie is going to have to tell me before he gets killed. Suffering from a gunshot, or torn apart by rotters. Why am I thinking of this right now?

People who have a hard time sleeping probably overthink a lot.

Speaking of the devils... I can hear the infected outside scratching at the house. They are thumping and running their bodies into the walls. I'm still terrified of them. I haven't made contact with them since I was bitten. The closest I've gotten to them after the amputation was the Stalkers in the sewers.

I continued to let my ears have permission to suck in the sounds of the Dead, letting it remember what they sound like and even smell like. I could hear an accurate amount of Walkers and Stalkers pounding away at our shelter to accomplish one goal and nothing else. That feeling of them coming in here can set me off like a hysterical cat on Halloween. Thinking of the Hellhounds was enough; biting and snapping gory jaws.

Donatello shuffled his body in the bed as I had to do the same for his legs and feet kicking the sheets up. I got to the point where I decided to come near him for warmth... to feel secure and well cared for.

The roars outside were somehow muffled because I distracted myself with Donnie's figure lying beside me. It was like he turned off a switch to kill off the noises and hear nothing but his heavy breathing. He didn't move once my face was a few inches from his chest, so I gladly got closer and felt the hot cloud of his body heat. That's when I closed my eyes and admired his care for me.

****

𝙹𝚊𝚗𝚞𝚊𝚛𝚢 𝟷𝟶𝚝𝚑, 𝟸𝟶𝟷𝟽

"Rise and shine! Daylight's burnin'!" Criss called from downstairs, trying to wake everyone up at one time. "Guys, it's time to go."

I shot up from my pillows and had a good case of bedhead. Donnie sat up rubbing his eyes and placed his glasses on. I slept with mine on again... Regan and Patience were still dead asleep on the floor, nearly cuddling with their blankets.

"We're leaving?" I asked, looking at Donnie's watch and seeing the time. I yelled back to Criss downstairs from our room. "It's only nine o'clock! Let us sleep!"

It wasn't her that answered back, it was Kitty who helped out Criss. Turns out no conflict went down with Kitty and her men last night between my group. Since they peacefully made slept through the night, everyone should be getting along. "I don't give a monkey's left nut!" Kitty shouts. "Your leader said to be downstairs in ten minutes!"

I groaned looking up at Donnie as he shrugged. I peer down at the girls on the floor. I took the pillow Donnie used during the night and threw it to Patience's head. "Wake up..."