20 || 𝐒𝐄𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐒

𝐎𝐬𝐚'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

Later in the day, I was beginning to feel like my old self from the fall I had earlier.

David stopped by to have a talk with Leonardo about the perimeter of Hopeswell. David should be glad that Leo is speaking his mind because everything that my leader is saying is completely true. The infected exists... they have taken the entire world away from the living and will kill us with everything they have got.

The bedroom door is cracked open and Leonardo is currently speaking with David privately. I eavesdrop on the conversation.

"Leo, I have a community of people to keep alive. Now you're telling me that the infected are getting worse?" David says to my leader.

"I never tell a lie. One of my own recently had her leg amputated from a Stalker; it's a type of infected. Runners, Walkers, and Stalkers. And who knows what they'll adapt into..."

"Prove to me that this is true," David said.

"I am not going back out there again. Be my guest to go look on your own." Leo told him.

"Right." David's footsteps approach the door as I scoot away quick enough to make it at the edge of the couch in the living room. Both of them step out. "I'm sending out a search party for the two people who left for a hunting trip. Care to be one of them?"

Leo replied, "Did I not just say I'm not going back out there?"

"Sorry." David scoffed. "They were supposed to be back early this morning. I guess the biters got them or..." He shrugged "They're still making their way back."

"I'm sure they'll return." Leo crossed his arms. "We might come out one by one to take a look around."

"Absolutely. You're free to do so." David grinned, walking toward the door and placing a hand in the doorknob; his fingers curl around it. "Leo," He said as the turtle in the blue mask looks at him. "If you're right about what you say about the infected, I apologize."

Leo only nodded his head, hardly any movement. David exits the house with me and my leader staring at each other.

"Well?" I started.

"He's in denial," Leo said.

"About the infected?"

"You guessed correctly." He smirks.

"I... overheard."

"Ah," He puffed air. "I see."

"You scared?"

He doesn't answer right away. "Yes. When Donnie told me that people were dying and coming back, I thought it wasn't true. Maybe it was just a virus that made it appear that-- I don't know. I thought they were sick people. They're really dead and roaming the earth."

"And Donnie wants to work on a cure."

"I like the idea of a cure, but he doesn't have the right equipment. All of it is back home in the lair."

"He said that he was able to do it, right?" I mention.

"You'd be surprised at the things Donnie says. He only said he can make a cure for the nurses because he thought that there is hope to save the human race. There isn't." He grew more serious. "Don told me himself, Osa. 90% of the population is gone. It can't be brought back."

"So, it's too late, that's what you think?"

"Yeah. It was too late the moment it all started." Leo says lowly.

****

Donnie found a quiet place to work in the house as the rest of the group chatted in one room downstairs and he was another floor above. He sits on a wooden stool in front of a desk which holds papers, pens, and one ruler. As he digs through his bag and finds a sample of Kri's bite in a dish.