XIV. Training

(F/N) rose up early the next morning. She's in full gear and uniform.

And she's waiting for someone.

She was leaning on a tree, her arms crossed, thinking of many plausible explanations for her absence of two weeks. She was quite nervous. What would she say? What does she think of me now?

Fortunately, (F/N) didn't have to wait for long. She could already see her emerging from the building, and she could also see that she's wearing her gear, like what she told her to do last night.

She saw her, too, and she didn't look the least bit happy to see her.

(F/N) gulped nervously.

"Thank you for coming, Mikasa." (F/N) uttered while attempting a smile, which came out weak and unconvincing. This didn't please Mikasa.

"(F/N)," said Mikasa calmly. "What do you want to talk about?"

"I,... want you to train me."

Mikasa raised an eyebrow. "Oh. Isn't Captain Levi the one who's training you?"

"Wait, who told you that?"

"The Commander."

Mikasa was surely not wasting her time. This made (F/N) even more nervous.

"He's not training me, Mikasa." (F/N) told the raven - haired girl. It was the truth.

"If not, then why are you hanging around with him?"

"I'm his new assistant."

"Okay, I understand." said Mikasa, then turned to leave. "If you don't want to tell me the truth, that's fine."

"Mikasa, wait!" (F/N) grabbed the end of Mikasa's collar in an attempt to stop her from leaving. The tough girl just shrugged (F/N)'s hand off. A lump suddenly grew in the girl's throat. "Do you,... hate me now?"

"I don't hate you, (F/N)." Mikasa faced her once more. "I just hate how you cling to the man who hurt you like nothing happened. Sure, he chose you to be his assistant, but (F/N), have you forgotten what he did to you? You should've refused him! Are you really that numb?"

(F/N) finally let her tears fall. "I'm not,..."

"Here we go again. (F/N), stop being so weak, for crying out loud!"

"I'm trying not to!" her uncontrolled sobs were gradually becoming louder. "I'm trying to be strong, Mikasa. Despite all the looks that everyone was giving me for simply being with the Captain. And it hurts me to see you ignoring me, as well as the others."

Mikasa said nothing. (F/N) went closer to her and grabbed the other girl's shoulders. "Stop this, (F/N),..."

"Listen to me, Mikasa, please,..." she pleaded. "It's not by my own wishes that I became his assistant. The Commander chose me for it. I have no choice but to obey!"

"And what is the reason?"

"I,... can't tell you."

Mikasa looked deeply hurt. She forcefully removed (F/N)'s hand and turned the other way. "Then, this conversation is over! Goodbye, (F/N)."

"Mikasa, please, wait!" The girl didn't listen. She just went on walking back to the building. "Promise me that you'll be very cautious. Please, be always safe. Promise me, Mikasa!"

"Safe from what?" a deep baritone uttered not far from where (F/N) was standing. Mikasa obviously recognized the voice as she turned to look back at (F/N) with shocked, wide eyes. (F/N) looked behind her and saw none other than Jean Kirschtein emerging from behind one of the large trees. He was, apparently, very well hidden that the girls didn't notice that he was there, all along. "(F/N), what is really happening here? Please, tell me."