Variant

Diva's POV

    I pulled up to Lee's house. Another car was there: a worn Toyota.

    I could already hear the screams.

    My eyes began to water. The police was here too, and an ambulance, and I don't why the fuck a fire truck showed up also. Nothing was burning.

    I ran into the open door and swerved. The ambulance was pulling a stretcher down the steps, a blanket covering Brandy's body.

    Brandy could be rude and annoying at times, but she was part of...Brandy! That was her! You had to love her.

    My heart went out to the family. Lee, her pa and ma, the brothers, and a woman I didn't know all came out crying.

    As soon as Lee saw me, she ran up to me and fell in my arms. The police was asking her parents all types of questions.

    "Oh my God! I'm gonna die! She was just lying there in her bed! She never woke up!! Oh my God!"

    Tears welled in my eyes as I held her with all of my might for fear she might pass out. I rarely saw this sad, sensitive side of Lee. I didn't like it. The clouds set and greyed; perfect for the mood of the day.

    Her parents got into the ambulance with the Brandy and they drive on down the rode and disappeared the the hill.

    The woman who I didn't know came up to us and rubbed our backs reassuringly. And suddenly, I noticed her.

    This was Lee's aunt, Marjorie.

    Before she moved down to Waycross, here in Mechanicsville, Marjorie was the one to babysit us when Lee's ma was off working and my ma was off somewhere getting blunted and faded.

    "I remember when you were just a little tiny girl! Now you're all grown!" Marjorie gushed. She squeezed my shoulders and started crying again. I couldn't say anything.

    I hugged Marshall and Michael and Antoine and took Lee on a walk. "Where are they taking Brandy?" I asked.

    "To the hospital. A doctor needs to certify that she's d-dead...And then to some room where they keep d-dead p-people preserved. Oh my God, how do I know this?!"

    "Calm down, girl. Just breaaaaathe. Inhale and exhale. What did you see? How did you know that Bran wasn't right?"

    "I came in from the drug-mart-around the time were she takes her r-regular nap- and I went to her room to tell her that I brought her some things..."

    "And?"

    "She ain't fuckin' wake up! Damn..."