Visitors

Diva's POV

    Donte finally got up the nerve and dignity to drive me home after Mrs. Williams picked up Wooly.

    We sat quietly in the car listening to z107.9. "Shorty, you gotta listen up real good." He turned the corner and cleared his throat.

    "What? I rolled my eyes in the darkness of his car. "What happened in there...it wasn't like me."

    "Damn right..."

    "I shoulda' neva' put my hands on you," I snorted. "And I shoulda' neva' said what I said." I rolled my eyes. This time, Donte caught me and tilted my chin to his face. "Don't do me like that. It ain't cute. Here, I'm tryna' make the best of both worlds and you on some ish." Donte grimaced and pulled into the apartment parking lot.

    "Alright, Donte. I ain't got time." I stepped out of the car and walked up the steps to the front lobby door without taking a second look. Donte was on some real ish. For real.

    After punching in the code, the lobby doors unlocked and I walked into a dim corridor. It smelt of smoke and dirty laundry.

    I walked into the mail room and dug in my purse for the key. After I found it, I jiggled it inside of the lock and opened the box. It was only our new food stamp card and some advertisements for DirectTV. I disposed of that and held onto the food stamp card.

  ∆∆∆∆    ∆∆∆∆    ∆∆∆∆    ∆∆∆∆    ∆∆∆∆    ∆∆∆∆    ∆∆∆∆

    Ma was actually...not high this evening. She had two cookbooks that I didn't even know we had propped up on the counter making tilapia and rice. "Ma, what's going on?" I asked as I set the mail onto the coffee table littered with cigarette butts.

    "My friend and her son comin' over. Clean up around here. This house needs to be lookin' decent." Ma mixed the rice pot and sniffed the tilapia. I frowned.

    Ma was acting like she worked at a big ole' law firm. This trick worked at a checkout counter at Walmart. She wasn't nothin' but a junkie with an attitude towards every customer.

    I honestly didn't care about none of it. All I wanted to do was as go to sleep and dream about putting Wooly in a dog pound.

    Who the heck named a dog "Wooly" in the first place...unless you were mentally ill?

    I wiped the table with glass spray and threw the cigarette butts in the trash. After cleaning up everything in the dining and living room, I sprayed Febreeze so it wouldn't smell like weed breath and smoke.

    Our apartment had a lot of potential of being nice. We had nice things that were damaged. We had damaged things that were nice.

    "Ma, when are they comin'?" I sat on the couch and sighed. Even though the living room looked really clean and nice, it sucked all of the energy out of you.

    "In any minute now." I was so not used to seeing Ma act...motherly like this. Usually I was the one cooking and cleaning. She must've really cared about this "company". Or maybe it was because we never had company.

    Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. I assumed it was the folks who were expected to eat over here. Ma cursed and mixed the rice some more. I opened the door and smiled.

    I wanted to be a faithful girl friend...but dang. This boy was hot. And his momma wasn't bad-looking either. He looked to be about seventeen, my age. "Come in." I said.