The Rescue Mission

Diva's POV

"Okay, what time is your momma's shift over?" Me and Lee sat at the table after breakfast. Two of Lee's brothers had to go to summer school. And Brandy went out with her friends as even though she was broke as a joke. And her other brother went on a date. It seemed like everyone had something irrelevant to do.

"At eight. It's two now. We gotta get going before her lunch break."

"When's that?"

"Four. So let's go." We were in regular clothes plotting a rescue mission for my cell phone. And while we were at it. I could bring some more clothes. Plus, while ma was high, she decided that a backup key should be placed on top of the outside doorframe. Just my luck.

I had a backup key to get in and ma wouldn't know a thing.

∆∆∆∆ ∆∆∆∆ ∆∆∆∆ ∆∆∆∆ ∆∆∆∆ ∆∆∆∆ ∆∆∆∆

By the we got to the front door of my ex-home, we were out of breath. On the way here, we had to swerve around a crime scene. The cops were acting real iffy about it.

I stood on my tiptoes and felt around the top of the door frame for the house key. "Hurry up. I don't wanna be on no mug shot for breakin' and enterin'."

"Hush. I still live here." Lee gave me a 'yeah right' look as I opened the door and ran into my room. Lee was on my heels. "Find my phone!"

"Hey, I'm starting to get this really sick feeling. What if ma took it?" I asked. My hands started to tremble. Ma would've had a field day with the sexts-I mean texts-I was sending Donte. Heh heh.

Lee looked under my bed and under the rug. I walked into the hallway, switched the light on, and started searching around. "Call my phone!" I called to Lee. I heard her dial my number.

A second later, my ringtone, "House Party" by Meek Mill came on. It was behind the fake plant! I looked at my phone as Lee came out with clothes. "Girl, this is your rescue mission. Not mine. So why am holding yo clothes?"

I had seven missed calls from Donte and I was loving watching him go crazy over me.

After helping Lee put of the apartment with my clothing in two bags, we walked down the street silently going over our crazy day.

Yeah, I snuck into ma's house. It wasn't like I stole anything though! Ma would never notice. I hope. I don't know...I was just racking my brain thinking about all of the things that happened from yesterday afternoon with Donte to right now.

It was way too much.

A car drove by and then backed up.

Oh no.

Oh no.

Oh my God. Donte!

"Ain't that-" Lee pointed to the car but I pushed her arm down. "Shut up!" I hissed. We sped up our pace with our heads down. Why the hell was Donte just driving around the city like a lost puppy?

"Shorty? Lee?" Donte got out of the car with another guy. This guy was Patrick, one of his other dudes from the local barber shop, Fresh.

I knew he was digging me on the down-low but he was too afraid to say it because he knew Donte would stomp him three feet under. Half of his height!

Besides, Patrick wasn't that fine anyways. He had cuts on his face from jail brawls. He was nowhere as cute as Donte.

"Ay, I've been callin' like hell, yo." Donte walked up to me with a worried look on his face but Pat pushed him back. "Dude, worry about that later. These fine women are carrying heavy ass bags like they slaves." Pat started checking out Lee.

Lee was pretty. She wasn't hot, she was just...pretty. She had long and wavy, natural, black hair. She was skinny as a toothpick. Her eyes were a weird mix of brown and hazel. People thought we were sisters and we just rolled with that.

"We cool." I shrugged and started walking. Lee followed.

Donte caught up to me and took the bag from my hand. Pat did the same thing to Lee and smiled, his golden grill showing on his bottom teeth. Lee didn't look fazed.

"Why you doin' me like this? I ain't do nothin'." He said. I looked him in his eyes. He actually looked as if he didn't know what he did wrong.

"You put your hands on me. And I don't do physical assault. Then you got hostile with me for no reason. That's what you did. So you can say you didn't do shit but you did." Donte looked uncomfortable for a moment which was unusual. "Put this in the car." He ordered. Pat nodded. Lee followed Pat just so she can escape the awkwardness.

"Baby, I'm sorry. I said it in the car. And then I'm callin' all night and that ain't even me. You know it. You the only person I would do that for. I love to hear yo voice. I love to feel yo touch. Even when you sassy, I still love to be around you. Baby, you live up to yo name like no other," Donte breathed. "I promise I won't touch you the way I did ever again. For real. Just come home with me." The sincerity in his eyes penetrated my soul. This guy was the love of my life.

Well so I thought.

And people made mistakes. Right?

I nodded. We all filed into his car, me in the front holding hands with Donte, and Pat and Lee in the back.

"I love you." He whispered. "I love you too." Those words spilled out of my mouth 88% true.