Chapter 3

When Draco rolls out of bed on his first day back at Hogwarts, he is greeted with a migraine and an unpleasant aroma.

He quickly downs a potion he brought with him and goes into the bathroom to tidy up, feeling marginally better afterwards.

As Draco heads up to the great hall, he hears the usual babble about Harry Potter.
It's gotten worse this year, since he is now the boy-wonder who defeated the dark lord.
He sighs, taking his seat.

Draco doesn't mind the talk as much as he used to. He actually thought that Harry loved the attention, thrived, on it. Now it's obvious that that is far from the truth.

Flashback

"Oh, good for nothing Potter, with his good for nothing friends," Draco mutters sourly as he pushes his food around his plate.

"What is it Now, Draco?!" Pansy asks exasperatedly.

"Yeah, mate, what'd they do? Look at you wrong? Did Golden-Boy not respond to all your love notes?" Blaise rolls his eyes.

Draco gives him a death glare and goes back to muttering at his mashed potatoes before looking up at the Gryffindor table.
He immediately notices the absence of all three members of the "Golden Trio.

He spins around in his seat, nearly knocking over Pansy in his attempt to locate the three heads in the packed great hall.

He feels a tap on his left shoulder and snaps his head to look at the person beside him.

"Looking for someone, Malfoy?" Weasley asks.

Draco turns his gaze to Harry. He looks uncomfortable. Their eyes meet briefly and Draco wonders who will be the first to get a black one this year.

He just barely remembers to shake his head and give a snarky reply in response to Ron as he's preoccupied with ignoring the sudden burst of stamina.

Present time commences

Draco sighs into his breakfast of cereal when he sees Potter approaching him. He's without his sidekicks. Draco swallows his bite of food and clears his throat just as Harry arrives at the Slytherin table.

"Um, Malfoy," he starts, "Can I speak to you for a moment?"

Draco glances at Pansy and Blaise in question and they both give him disinterested shrugs. He nods. Harry shakes his head and gestures to the door of the great hall.

Draco sighs again, thinking about how much energy it must take to be so annoying, and grabs an apple to go.

Once they're safely away from the ears of the rest of the students and out of the hall, Harry begins to speak.

"What are you playing at, Malfoy?"

Draco rolls his eyes.

"You've never said a pleasant- scratch that, you've never said a single non-obnoxious and spiteful word to me or any of my friends since first year started, and you expect us to believe you want peace and quiet?! More importantly, you expect us to give it to you?"

Draco sighs and can't help the chuckle that escapes his lips.

"Look... Potter," he struggles with his words, "Last year wasn't exactly fun and games for any of us. My father, that bastard, is currently in Azkaban, and I would like to finally get a normal year before I become a full-blown ministry wizard."