Chapter 43

Sansa's mind began to race, forcing her out of her unconsciousness, although her eyes remained closed. She heard voices around her, voices she had never heard before. Her eyelids were heavy, after a few moments she began to stir, her eyes slowly opening. Her eyes darted around the room, her eyes focused on a man's face first, she recognised his face, he was the new Maester of Winterfell. There were two servants also in the room. 

The Maester Wolkan realised Sansa was awakening. "Lady Bolton, I am pleased to see you are awake" his lips formed a small smile, but his eyes showed grief. Sansa tried to sit up in the bed, she felt a rush of pain in her stomach. She felt weak, as though she hadn't eaten or slept in days. "What happened?" she mumbled.

Wolkan creased his eyebrows, looking down before he spoke. "My Lady... I'm very sorry" Sansa stared at him in confusion, "I don't understand?" She brought a hand to her head, softly rubbing her temple to try and ease the ache. She sat up further in the bed, despite the pain. She looked around the room, there was a bundle of sheets sitting at the end of the bed, they were stained with blood. Sansa's voice caught in her throat as she tried to speak, coming to the realisation of what had happened. "Did you know you were pregnant my Lady?" Sansa continued to stare at the sheets, she shook her head slightly. 

"I am very sorry for your loss my Lady". He turned slightly signalling for the servants to leave, one of them bundled the sheets in her arms, before leaving the two of them alone. "I was worried at your first that your life was in danger, but you just need rest before you are back to full health". Sansa felt a dripping on her hand, she hadn't even notices she was crying, she felt numb, as if all the feeling in her body had drained away. "How long?" she managed to mumble.

She raised her eyes to meet his face, waiting for his answer. He seemed as though he was hesitating before speaking. "How long?" she repeated, her voice was stronger this time, she sat up fully in the bed. "It's difficult to say exactly, but judging by the size of the... of the baby, I would say you were at least four, if not five months, you were barely showing at all". Sansa thought for a moment, before speaking again. "But that's not possible... I have only been in Winterfell for three months" She didn't want to even think of the other explanation, it made it hurt even more. 

Wolkan looked away from Sansa, "I will not tell Lord Bolton how far along you were, you have suffered enough." He nodded before turning towards the door. "Wait... what would it have been?" Sansa asked, looking at him through flooded eyes. "A girl, my lady". Sansa tried to hold back the tears, "Can I see her? Can I hold her just once... please" Her voice came out barely as a whisper. The Maester looked at her once more with his sympathetic eyes. "I'm very sorry my Lady, but Lord Bolton has already had it- had her buried." He continued to the door, leaving Sansa alone. 

Sansa began to choke on her tears, until she could barely breathe anymore. She turned on her side, burying her head into the pillow. She felt like screaming. She couldn't have imagined what else could be taken from her, but to have a child taken from her, felt as though it destroyed every last will she had to live. To have something taken she had never even know she had, wrenched a pain deep inside of her. She had lost the last part of Jamie she didn't even know she had left.