Chapter 38

Sansa could feel her heart pounding in her chest as she waited for Arya's return. Her eyes wandered around he courtyard anxiously.

A pain suddenly embedded itself in Sansa's stomach, Sansa clutched at her waist trying to soothe it. Her attention was taken by two figures that appeared in the corner of her eye. She turned her head to see Arya and Rickon heading from the dungeons. Sansa sighed with relief, she caught Arya's eyes and looked out into the courtyard, there were more people than before hurrying to and from the battle, but there was no sign of Ramsey.

Sansa took a deep breath bracing herself for the short walk across to her brother and sister which seemed like miles. She began to take a step into the courtyard, she was soon pulled back and swung around to meet a familiar face she had once considered a friend of her father.

"Sansa Stark" a cruel smile appeared on his lips. She struggled at his grip clasped around her wrist. His face was covered in blood, he had just returned from battle, still dressed in his armour. "What would Lord Ramsey think of his little wife wandering the castle all alone" he pushed her back against the wall. His grip tightening.

"Let me go" she expected her voice to fail her, but she spoke strongly. His smiled formed into a smug grin. He moved closer to her, so he was face to face. Sansa turned her head away, she had almost forgotten about Arya and Rickon across the other side of the courtyard.

Sansa's eyes began to fill with tears, Arya desperately looked around the courtyard that began to fill with more and more people, the battle must be over, from the reactions of those returning to Winterfell the battle had been won by Ramsey. They didn't have much time.

Arya's gaze fell once more on Sansa, who's eyes were fixed on hers. She remembered what she had promised her.

She couldn't risk looking at them any longer, if Lord Umber as much as glanced at them they'd have no chance. She took a last look at Rickon and Arya then looked back to Lord Umber. "You remind me more of your mother everyday" he released his grip on her wrist. "She had the same fire that's in your eyes, it's a pity that didn't save her when Black Walder slashed her throats from ear to ear."

He brushed the back of his bloody hand across her cheek, Sansa tightened her jaw, she wouldn't show him weakness. He drew his lips closer to hers, she could feel his short breaths against her mouth. "I'd be careful Sansa, anyone could have found you here alone in the dark". Sansa refused to let him taunt her further, she forced back the tears forming in her eyes.

"And I'd be careful Lord Umber, because if you remember I am the of Lady Winterfell, What would Lord Bolton say if he learnt that you questioned my presence". Lord Umber released a stiff laugh. He backed away from her slightly, turning his attention to Ramsey who was entering the courtyard.

Lord Umber strides across to him, he began to climb down from his horse. Sansa looked back to see Arya, they was no sign of them, they had gone. She hoped they had gotten away, she couldn't bear to think of what Ramsey would do to them if he captured them.

Sansa slowly followed Lord Umber's footsteps into the courtyard. Ramsey eyes became fixed on her, she matched his stare, not daring to look away. "Lord Bolton it was an honour to fight by your side" Ramsey gave him a small nod and walked past him towards Sansa. Sansa could feel her breathing become heavier with each step he took closer to her.

"What a pleasure it is to have my beautiful wife waiting for my return from the battlefield" he painted a small smile on his lips, for the benefit of those around him. He drew closer to her, pressing his cold lips to hers. "Guards please escort my wife back to our chambers, it's far too cold for a lady to be out".

Sansa followed the guards back to her room, hearing the familiar lock turn behind her. A feeling of dread sat in her stomach, filling her with fear. All she could do was wait for Ramsey, and wait for what he would do to her.

--