Chapter 37

It had been days since Sansa had last seen her sister, she tried to ignore her fears of Ramsey finding them out. She paced backwards and forwards hoping for Arya's return, but still there was nothing. She looked out towards the window, the snow was settling on the cold ground below. The longer she waited, the less hope she held of ever escaping the place that she had once called home.

--

Jamie sat staring at the letter in front of him. The longer he stared at the words the more it became real. His last living son was dead. All of his children were dead. He had never been a father to them, but they were still his children, He he to carry on his way to Winterfell, he had to save Sansa, he couldn't give up on her again. But the more he thought about Tommen, the more he thought about Cersei.

He remembered how much Joffrey's and Myrcella's death had hurt her, she was his sister. He knew that she would need him, but he needed Sansa more and she needed him more. She was the woman who had pushed him away, forced him to go North to defeat the Blackfish.

She had no power now, she didn't have any children left to rule through, she was all alone. He couldn't help but think it was what she deserved, he had loved her once, but for the first time he had finally realised what a hateful woman she was, he didn't hate her, he pitied her.

He had the one thing she would never have... true love.

--

Sansa jumped up from the bed, hearing the keys turn in the lock, she waited for who it would be, praying to see Arya's face. She was met with the stranger's face, she had forgotten of Arya's disguise.

"We have to go now, it might be our only chance, Stannis's army has attacked, Ramsey isn't here" Arya said in a low voice. Sansa grabbed her cloak, tying it round her. She pulled her hood up, hiding her red hair. Following Arya out of the door, she stayed close to her. They had made it outside, they stopped in the shadows. The sky was still light, but the cold winter night was creeping upon the clouds.

Arya stopped, glancing around the courtyard filled with guards rushing around, she turned back to Sansa, "You have to stay here, I'll get Rickon, it's too risky for us both to go." Sansa nodded, Arya turned to start crossing the courtyard. "Wait-" Sansa tugged her arm gently "you have to promise me, that no matter what, you have to get Rickon out-" Arya swiftly interrupted "I'm going to get you both out-" Sansa spoke again "No- if anything happens, get Rickon out, if you have to leave me behind" "Sansa no one of getting left behind, I'm not leaving you" Sansa voice became more strained "Promise me, if Ramsey finds you he'll kill you both, I'm not going to let that happen".

Arya nodded, defeated by her sisters words "I promise" she whispered. "Wait for me here, once I've got Rickon I'll signal to you" Sansa nodded taking in her sisters words. "Be careful". Arya hugged her sister tightly, before setting off to the dungeons.

--

Jamie took in the landscapes of the North, his army wasn't used to the cold brutality. They were just over a weeks ride away from Winterfell. A rider arrived carrying a message from Brienne. She had rode ahead of them to Winterfell.

The letter entailed how she was waiting for word from Arya who was inside the walls of Winterfell, waiting for their escape. Jamie realised his need for his army to hurry up, they needed to ride faster, if their escape went wrong, Sansa was in danger.

--