Chapter 4 (Edited and Finished)

The dark threatening clouds rolled in quickly. The winds grew stronger by the minute. At the moment all they could do was stare. A crack of thunder and a bolt of lightning seemed to bring them back from their daydream. It began to rain. "Let's go to my place." Brad said. He grabbed Lynn's hand and the rest of them followed them as they ran through the rain towards the cottages that were down by the beach. Once reaching the last one he let Lynn get to the door first and she fumbled for her keys. Drew stepped to the side of the house to watch the water, the waves were huge! They rose and crashed to the beach as if the water itself had come alive. The sky grumbled and the clouds thickened as they picked up moisture from the water. They rolled in without warning.

"This doesn't look good."He said. "This storm looks far worse than the storm we were in that night." As he turned waiting for a reply he realised that everyone had disappeared into the cottage. He turned and walked into the cottage closing the door behind him. Lynn was running around gathering up candles and matches. Alexis was by the kitchen window staring out through the blinds at the darkness that the storm brought over the beach. She watched the ways as they grew with each gust of wind before crashing on the sand. Brad grabbed some wooden boards and a hammer. He called to Ethan and Drew. "Guys I need your help with the windows. He then rushed outside. Just as they closed the door another loud clap of thunder shook the small cottage causing Faith to let out a cry and she moved quickly to the couch. Lynn sat the candles on the kitchen table then carried some with her to the coffee table. Once setting them down Lynn moved to the bedroom and soon returned carrying a huge pile of folded blankets in her arms. She sat them down on the floor before walking to Lexi and placing her hand upon her shoulder. Lexi jumped and turned to gaze at her. "The storm is growing stronger by the minute." she said with a trembling voice.

"I know." Lynn said calmly, “Please come in and sit down”. She guided her away from the window and to the living room. She sat down next to Lynn and drew her knees to her chest. "It will be okay Lexi." Lynn said as she tried to calm her.

Brad began to board up a window with the help of Drew. Ethan claimed that he could get the next one on his own. The wind was howling now and it began to pour down. Moving from window to window they got most of them. The only one that didn’t get to was the kitchen. But the storm was increasing with high winds and rain causing them to have to give it up. When entering the house Drew was coughing from trying to catch his breath and all three of them were drenched and their cheeks were red from the cold rain and high winds. Lynn stood up quickly and went to the bathroom and grabbed them some towels. As she was gone the lights began to flicker. When she returned she began to help Brad and gave the other two men each a towel so they could dry themselves off a bit. As they were doing that the lights suddenly went out. The wind was whistling loudly and they could hear the waves crashing loudly. Suddenly with a flash of lightening the whole room lit up for a moment before casting everything back into darkness. Lynn gasped and released the towel as she moved to the table. Faith stood and went to the kitchen feeling her way with her hands. They lit all the candles casting soft light throughout both rooms. Once the candles were lit Brad walked down the hall and into their bedroom where he closed the door. Ethan and Drew stood by the front door still their teeth chattering from their wet clothing.

Brad came out wearing Jean and a shirt. He tossed Ethan a pair of sweatpants and a shirt and Drew a pair of track pants and a shirt. "Ethan you can go change in my room, you know where it is. Drew the bathroom is the first room on the right when you head down the hall." He gave Ethan a candle and gave Drew a flashlight. Both guys disappeared happy to be getting into some dry warm clothes. Lexi still had her knees drawn to her chest and with her hands resting on her knees she had buried her face. Brad walked over to her and placed his hand on her shoulder as he crouched down beside the couch. She looked up at him with tear filled eyes. "It’s gonna be alright Alexis." He said softly. "I promise." she nodded and bit her lower lip. He then gave her a gentle hug. She hugged him back not meaning too but she clung to him her hands gripping his shirt as she trembled. Just as she was hugging him Drew came out of the bathroom. As he carried out the flashlight and it fell on Brad and Lexi his lips parted. He didn’t say anything and only held the flashlight there for a few moments Brad looked up at him and reached down behind his back to pry Lexi's fingers free. As she let get and allowed his to pull away and stand up her eyes slowly drifted up to Drew. He stared at her, anguish in his eyes and anger in his features. He then glanced at Brad. He held up his hands as if too ward him off. "She was scared man, I only told her it was gonna be alright, I just gave her a hug to make her feel better. That’s all, nothing more."