Gray - Goodbyes Are Hard

~

GRAY X READERFAIRYTAIL AU~

"Hey Gray!" Y/n exclaimed, jumping onto the seat next to him. She was 7, he was 8 along with all the other kids on the guild.

"Hey Y/n." He greeted, looking her way. He took off his shirt, his stripping habits appearing once more.

"Gray!!! Your clothes!!!" She covered her e/c eyes and made a disgusted face. He screamed and grabbed his discarded clothes before putting it back on. "Nobody wants to see that!!!!" Y/n lied, because she clearly did enjoy the show. (Oops, cats outa the bag)

"See ya later Y/n, gotta go beat up pyro." Gray announced, stalking over to Natsu.

"Bye Gray" she murmured softly watching him leave.

«Goodbye Is Only Painful If You Know You'll Never Say Hello Again»

"Bet you can't catch me!" Y/n squeaked running away from the ravenette. He chuckled before chasing her down.

"Ice-Make: Cage!" Gray shouted, casting an ice cold cage to surround her. "Got ya Y/n." He teased Y/n making the female mage pout.

"Please don't eat me, Oh Great and Stupid Gray." She mock bowed to him. He yelled indignantly.

"Hey!" He complained as she melted the ice with her fire magic.

"See you later loser!" Y/n waved leaving Gray behind in the dust.

«There's Never A Right Time To Say Goodbye»

"Shh, this'll be our secret hideout like Nastu and Lisanna's!" Y/n hopped around happily. Gray sighed and shook his head at her, a smile on his lips.

"If that what you want....all it means is that you'll have no one to call to help when I........tickle you!!!" He started tickling her stomach. She laughed uncontrollably and started shaking.

"Stop, stop, stop, I......surrender.........NOT!!!!" Y/n grabbed a handful of leaves and threw that at Gray. He laughed and continued to tickle her. "Okay, I give up for real." She waved a green leaf in the air like a white flag.

They both sat down and stared at the sunset, the oranges, pinks, red, and yellows blending together into a childish fantasy.

"Hey Gray?" Y/n asked, looing at the ice mage. He had taken off his shirt but she didn't say anything. "We'll be friends with each other for forever.....right?" She asked innocently tilting your head to a side.

"I promise" Gray smiled at her and continued to watch the sunset while she lied her head on Gray's shoulder and slowly fell asleep. He smiled before falling asleep beside Y/n, one arm wrapped around her small waist.

«Forever Has Seven Letters But So Does Goodbye»

"Don't worry Gray! I'll be back soon!" Y/n called out, waving a hand in farewell. She was going on a mission to find a missing cat. "I'll be back soon so that we can pummel Nastu and Lisanna." She smiled brightly before boarding the train.

"I know...." Gray muttered as he watched the train leave. "I just feel like something's wrong......shit, I forgot to say goodbye. Well, she'll be back soon, it won't matter." He brushed away the weird feeling in his gut and walked towards the guild.

Neither of them knew how wrong they were.

«Remember Me. Remember Us. And All We Used To Be.»

"What do you mean, dead?! Y/n cannot be dead!!! Stop lying to me!!!" Gray yelled. "She promised me she'd return, the mission, it was barley even hard. How did she die!!" He slammed his hands on the table he and Y/n always....no used to now, sit at.

"There were so kidnappers....they got her and tormented her till she was nearly dead." The man said softly. "We got her to a hospital but it was to late she had lost to much blood." The man said sympathetically. "She...uh...wanted me to tell Gray Fullbuster that she loved him.....more then a friend." He gazed at Gray with soft eyes.

"No. No. No. She is not dead. She can't be." He whispered to himself. "Why does love hurt so much?" He asked softly.

"No one knows, kid." The man said gruffly before leaving a crying guidhall.

«If I Die, Don't Cry, Look At The Sky and Say Goodbye»

~Present Time~ Y/n's POV~

You smiled down at Gray as he said his vows to the blue haired water mage. You thought the looked cute together, she could provide him with much more happiness then you could (I have no idea how to phrase that right) , you were dead and he was alive. Fate wanted you to be apart so you would wait to see him again till he was old and wrinkly with many grandchildren. You smiled as they kissed, happy your first lover had found a living lover. You, too, had found a new lover. (Can you guess who it is?)

"Y/n?" A voice broke the peaceful silence. You looked over to see your lover standing in the doorway of your house.

"Hey Zeref, how are you?" You asked the black haired mage. He grinned before wrapping his arms around your waist and resting his chin on your head.

"I'm better now that I'm with you." He answered cheekily. You rolled your eyes.

Life was good for both of you.

He was Gray Fullbuster

You were Y/n Dragneel

«I Found The Good In Goodbye»

Hi!!!!! Sorry if it was bad this was my first sad one shot to ever write as well as my first GrayxReader anything. I tried to make the ending happy, which I hopefully did.......

Remember to Vote, Comment and Request!!!