Chapter 33

I jumped up and down, cheering. I scored a final strike and knocked eight pins down, making me the winner. Usually I lose when I bowl but tonight must have been my lucky night. I turned back to Eric wanting to rub it in his face.

He stood staring at me, arms crossed, looking a little bit defeated. He had lost by just a few points but a bet was a bet. But there was something else. Something in his eyes.

“Pay up,” I ordered, walking over to him.

He fished for five dollars out of his pocket. He handed me the bill with a pout on his face. I grinned then dashed to the concession stand. I ordered a large soda and pretzel, which equaled five dollars. Exactly what I wanted if I was going to win.

I balanced the two items in my hands as I walked back to our lane. As I took a bite out of the pretzel steam rolled from it. The fresh baked ones were the best.

When I got back I waved the pretzel in Eric’s face, offering for him to have a bite. It was just centimeters from his mouth. He fake-glared at me then took a bite. I sat the drink down and tore it in half.

“Any updates from your mom?” I asked around the food in my mouth.

“Just a text saying it was still going to be a little while.”

I nodded. I finished my half of the pretzel and looked over at him. He was already looking at me with a smile on his face.

“What?”

“Nothing. You just have a little bit of cheese on your cheek.”

My cheeks turned red then he started laughing, nearly doubling over. I wiped the cheese from my face and glared at him.

“Thanks.”

He held his hands up. “Hey, I could have let you walk around like that all night.”

I shrugged. “I guess.”

He casually threw his arm on the back of our chairs. I was practically pushed up against him. The bowling alley was busy but suddenly it felt like we were in our own little bubble. Our own personal world inside this crazy one.

“Do you want to go back to my place and watch a movie? Sarah probably won’t have the baby till morning. I’ll keep my phone on.”

I nodded. “Sure.”

“Great!”

We unlaced our rental shoes and put on our own. He took my hand and led us out the door, dropping the shoes off on the way. He held the door open for me and started the engine. I texted Mom that I would be over at Eric’s instead of the hospital. Her reply made my cheeks ignite. I thanked my lucky stars that it was dark in the car, though I’m sure he could feel the heat.

I reached for the volume knob and started humming to the music. The song came to an end as he pulled into the drive.

The house was dark when we walked in, Eric turned on lights as we went. I plopped myself down on the couch while he ran to get pillows and blankets. I grabbed the remote and started surfing through the movies. I landed on one of the newer ones when he came back.

“What did you choose?”

“Uh – this one.” I pointed to the screen, still unsure of what I had chosen.

He nodded. “Sounds great.”

I pressed play when he turned off the lights. We acted as if everything was normal. He threw the blanket over the both of us and kicked off his shoes. We sat next to each other, half a foot apart. It was just like every other time I’d come over for a movie. Except something changed.