Chapter 10:

Mom walked over with tears in her eyes and a smile on her face. “Jessica! I've missed you so much honey!” She leaned over to give me a hug. I stayed still through the hug.

“Did you really?” James hammered in my head that they really didn't care what happened to me. Over time I believed it. Even now when she looked so relieved and happy to see me.

“Yes! Of course! I never gave up on you.”

I looked at her for good measure. “Really?”

“Yes, really.”

I gave her a small smile then looked over at Eric. He was still standing on the far side of the room looking awkward. He caught my eye and smiled but the relief was evident in his eyes along with something else I couldn't put my finger on. Uncharacteristically, he didn't come over to give me a hug.

“Hey,” I said.

“Hi. How are you?”

“I'm good. Don't be a stranger, come over here.”

He looked at me warily and a few seconds later he finally walked over. I turned my head slightly to look at them and winced at the pain. Damn you James.

“So... what has happened in the past year?”

Being back with the people I loved relaxed me. I felt like I could settle back into what it used to be. But that could never happen. I couldn't just erase a year. But I could try.

Mom and Eric informed me on everything from the last year and got me up to speed. It sounded like I didn't miss much. Except now everyone was ready to graduate and I still had to catch up. I inwardly groaned. Two years and done. Should be a few months. Since I was taken away, I didn't want to even think of living alone.

“I'm going to go the cafeteria and get something to drink.” Mom leaned down and kissed me on the forehead. “I'll be right back.”

She stood up and headed to the door. Once she left, only Eric and I were left. Surprisingly, he didn't say anything. I messed with the IV in my arm, picked at the wrapping around my torso, and fidgeted with my hair. I remember when I cut it and the consequences, as ridiculous as it was, it had.

James was always telling me how much he loved my hair. Too much. I stared at the scissors in my hands. I grew tired of him saying how much he loved it, and I was getting bored with it. I loved my long hair though since I've been here, 187 days, it has gotten too long. It reached down to the middle of my back and I could see the split ends in the mirror. I needed a hair cut.

With shaking hands, I brought the scissors to my shoulders and grabbed the hair. In one swift swipe, inches of blonde rings fell to the floor. I took a ragged breath and quickly cut the rest of the hair.

When I was done, I looked at the stranger in the mirror. She had short blonde hair and her lips were slightly swollen. Her skin looked slightly translucent under the bright lights. She was too thin as well.

Looking at my new reflection in the mirror was scary. When I first came here I had slightly tanned skin, no bruises, and I was fit from basketball and cheerleading. I only looked like a ghost of my former self. I turned from the mirror and bent down to pick up my hair. Once it was mostly concealed in the trash, I walked out of the bathroom and got dressed for the day.

One thing I loved about the cabin was the carpets. It was so plush I could feel it in between my toes as I walked. I took little things as blessings now, even the carpets. And since that day we left Florida, I did something I hadn't done since my dad was alive. I prayed.