Chapter 26

I came to stop in front of an isolated house. One car was in sight and it was green almost blending but not quite. It looked like it didn’t want to be here, it wanted to be somewhere else. So did I.

Despite knowing exactly what was going to be in there, or even if they had Eric at all, was a risk. I did call Eric’s phone but there was no answer and I had no way of telling if he was ignoring my phone calls or if he had Eric.

It was too dangerous to risk it. I’d rather let him go and I get caught instead of him being killed because of my own ignorance.

I finally opened my door and stepped down on the luscious green grass. Birds chirped in the trees, squirrels scattered around looking for nuts. It was warmer here and it felt like spring almost if only for one day. The breeze blew and the air chilled a few degrees.

A deep breath. Exhale. Just go, he is running out of time. That motivated me to go. I walked slowly still but I was moving towards the ancient house. The wood protecting the house was no longer brown but grey. A couple windows had new yellow wood covering it and a chair was turned on its side on the porch.

I imagined that years ago this house was beautiful but it was hard to in its bleakness. The floorboards groaned under my weight. I hoped it would hold me until I made it in. The door was grey like the rest of the house but a brand new floor mat rested in front. It read Come In in red letters.

I pushed the handle and the door responded. It swung open, the hinges protesting in screams. Inside the house was old furniture, dust covering every inch. I guess they had a knack for old abandoned houses like these. The last one was nearly identical.

“Is anyone in here?” I called. My voice reverberated off the walls and came straight back to me. I took one step inside. “Hello?”

  The only light streamed in from a dirty window on the far side of the room. Wind chimes rang against each other and I nearly jumped out of my skin. It was so quiet, too quiet.

“Hello?” I walked completely into the house now. “James? I’m here!”

There was no reply. No noise. No sign of human contact. For a moment I wondered if I had the right address then there was a sound. It nearly brought me to my knees. It was a cry of pain and I knew whose it was.

I ran to where the hallway met the living room like a T and looked both ways. Both were dark and identical, it was a gambled either way. Without overthinking it, I bolted right. I tripped over something in the hallway. I pulled out my phone for a flashlight. I shined the light where my feet were and the object that tripped me was a shoe. A man’s shoe.

My heartbeat took off like helicopter and I ran down the hallway, shining the light the entire way. There were three doors and all three were shut and locked. I groaned and went back the other way.

At the end of the hallway there were steps leading down to a basement. A shadow passed and I heard muttered voices. Stealing into the shadows, I crouched halfway down the stairs to get a look at the scene.

Eric was tied to a chair, hands behind him and legs tied to the chair legs, mouth gagged. His hazel eyes darted everywhere before they landed on me. His eyes widened and he started to move. I pressed one finger to my lips and shook my head. He stopped wiggling. His eyes said this was a bad idea. Mine said I know.

“Will you quit moving?” Evan boomed. He walked up right in front of Eric. “Do I need to teach you another lesson?”

Eric’s eyes went from me back to him. He shook his head.

“Quit moving! Looks like you don’t have much time left. Your girlfriend isn’t here yet.” He looked down at his wrist and sighed.

Eric tried to say something back but Evan slapped him across the face. “I said shut up!” He started to walk back where I assumed James was.