Chapter 32

Eric and I rushed up to the fifth floor at the hospital. He was smiling, excited and nervous. His leg was shaking the entire drive, thumbs tapping the steering wheel impatiently, and he chewed on his lip. He pressed the elevator button and nearly bounced in place while he waited.

“Are you ready to be an uncle?” I questioned as we stepped inside the elevator.

He took a deep breath. “I guess so. It’ll be weird.” Exhaled. “Very weird.”

I squeezed his hand. “You’ll be the best uncle ever.” It didn’t pass by me that I’d never be an aunt but considering how close I was to Eric and his family, I would practically be one. I had called Mom on the way over, informing her I might not make it home that night. Her excitement bled through the phone and she wished us all luck.

We stepped out of the elevator and headed to the room Kora told us she’d be in. Room 519. Eric knocked on the door before barging in. On the hospital bed Sarah was panting through the pain, gripping Jake’s hand for dear life. Kora was talking her through and Mr. Roberts was scrolling through business information on his phone.

Jake looked up as we walked in and a smile of relief grew on his face. Sarah released his hand, contraction over, and glanced over at us. Her stomach was like a mountain under the sheets. Her hair was pulled back into a ponytail and she looked like was prepared for a long night.

Her eyes flickered between the two of us then down at our intertwined hands, I’d barely noticed until now. Her face lit up, pain temporarily forgotten. “I’m so happy to see you both!”

“Hey, Sarah.” Eric let go and strode over to the bedside.

She clung onto his hand, pulled him down to whisper something in his ear. He chuckled and nodded. Her face was priceless when he leaned back but she pulled him back down and asked another question. He nodded again and broke away. Jake came to stand next to me.

“I’m so glad you are here. I swear, she’s going to break something in my hand,” he whispered in my ear. He then massaged his hand that Sarah had a death grip on. Kora caught a glance of it and smirked.

“You’re lucky you only have that pain to worry about.” She stared pointedly at his hand.

Jake kept his mouth shut after that.

“Excited to be a dad?”

“Yeah. I’m also nervous. What if I’m bad at it?” He sounded like he was younger than what he really was, a scared child unable to take on a huge responsibility like this.

“You’ll be the best dad. I’m sure of it.”

“Really?” His eyes shined with hope.

“Really.”

He mussed my hair. “Thanks Jess!”

With a pout on my face, I smoothed my hair back down.

“You look nice tonight.” A glance at Eric. “So does Eric. I thought the dance was last night?”

“It was.”

He had a puzzled expression. “Then why –”

“Uh, we went to dinner.”

“Just the two of you?”

“Yep.”

Realization dawned on him. “No way –”

“So Kora! How are you doing?” I narrowly avoided that. I didn’t want to talk too much about Eric and I’s date. There was more important things to be worried about, like if the cupcakes made it to the party.