Chapter 22

4 years earlier

"Truth," Colby said, waving a homemade fan before her face. It was hotter than the blazes. Being outdoors wasn't their first choice, but it was better than being tasked with chores, were they to be caught skulking around at either of their homes.

"Alright," Wyatt replied. He furrowed his brow, stroking his chin in a manner he hoped appeared maniacal and taking his sweet time.

"Come on, already!" Colby said, giggling at his ridiculous face. They were seated in the shade beneath their favorite tree, having moments before been splashing in the river to cool themselves. It was a more subdued game of truth or dare, as it was only the two of them, and dares were difficult to come by in the middle of the pasture. Still, it wasn't impossible.

"Okay, I have one," he said, leaning over his crossed legs. His hands were folded before him, and he studied her before he spoke, a wicked grin on his face.

"What?" she shrieked, flushing with the intensity of his analysis.

"Do you really have a crush on Ari?"

There it was—the question that had been itching at his mind for days. How he prayed it was a lie...

"On...Ari?" she asked, confused. "As in Aurelius Castillo?"

He nodded, waiting patiently and intently wiping all emotion from his features.

"Are you out of your mind!?" she cackled. "How in the world could you think that's even worth asking?" She threw her head back, laughing at the absurdity of it.

Sweet relief! Perhaps Ari wouldn't be competition after all. Her continued amusement at his foolish conjecture had him shifting uncomfortably. How had he been so wrong?

"Mari and Wynn swore it was true!" he said, and she raised an eyebrow. Oh...

Of course. They knew his feelings for Colby better than he did. It was probably an ill-conceived attempt to get him to act. Somehow, it had actually worked.

"Alright, my turn," she said, still snickering and wiping a stray tear from her eye. "Truth or dare?"

"Dare," he said, taking a deep breath. "Only, I wanna dare myself."

"Well..." She gave genuine consideration to this new development. "Okay, I guess you can do that."

Eyeing him suspiciously, her bright blue eyes shone with curiosity. A subtle smile played on her pouty pink lips, and he knew he was about to change everything.

"I dare myself to kiss you," he said, his eyes meeting hers earnestly. He couldn't be sure it was something she wanted, and so he waited. He wouldn't go through with it unless he knew for certain.