Chapter 20

Colby

A surge of excitement courses through my veins as Ari's truck chews through the gravel at the end of my driveway.

It's eleven o'clock on the dot.

I stand on the front porch, palms sweating, pulse hammering. It's been an awfully long time since I did anything crazy with Wyatt and his boys. Honestly, it's been a long time since I've done anything crazy, period. When I used to hang with Wyatt and his crew, we would find trouble rather regularly, and it almost always ended with somebody being dragged away by an angry adult for one reason or another.

While I hope we don't find any significant trouble tonight, I wouldn't mind a little. The thought of it is kind of exhilarating. At least that's what I'll keep telling myself as I stand here attempting to keep my nerves from getting the best of me.

Two Ari wannabes hang out of the truck, whistling and hollering. I'm lucky my daddy isn't home yet, and my mama... well, she won't hear anything. As Ari slams the brakes, one of the wannabes nearly topples from the window, having lost his balance, only to be dragged back into his seat by an irritated Nash sitting shotgun.

"Your chariot, madam," says the one who didn't nearly plunge to his demise. He cracks the door open, extending a hand in my direction, when Mari smacks the sophomore in the back of the head.

"She's sitting in the back with me, pervert," Mari says, glaring at him. "Don't think I didn't hear what you said about her when you found out she was coming, and if you ever try to touch my butt again I'll kill you."

His eyes dart toward her warily, and then he wisely moves out of her way as she exits from the center seat in the back of the cab. The sophomore closes the door then, folding his arms over his chest and sulking over the tongue lashing.

Wyatt hops down from the bed of the truck, a grin spreading widely across his handsome face. He's dressed entirely in black like everyone else, but attempting to tear my eyes away from him feels like one of the greatest challenges of my life.

"Damn, Colby," Mari smirks. "You make one fine lookin' ninja." She throws an arm over my shoulder, squeezing me into a half hug as she walks me toward our getaway car. "You can sit in the bed of the truck with me and Wyatt, and the rest of these idiots," she says, indicating a handful of freshmen and sophomores seated along the walls.

She places her hands on top of the side of the pickup, using the tire as a step and hopping into the back. Taking a seat on the spare tire, she casually leans against the rear window.

"Sounds good, Mar," I reply, smiling as Wyatt approaches me.

My heart thuds violently in my chest when he plants himself in front of me, backing me into the side of the rumbling vehicle. His features shift, becoming more serious. He traps me against the cool metal, a hand placed on either side of my shoulders.