Chapter 19

8 years earlier
"Wyatt Loring Matheson!" Maryanne bellowed from the other side of the bathroom door. Grunts of fury flowed from beneath the only barrier between Wyatt, Colby, and their potential demise.

The culprits sat, still as statues, listening intently as Maryanne worked to compose herself after the barbarous stunt. Without question, it was their greatest prank to date.

Saran wrapping the toilet bowl.

"I know you're listening, Wyatt. You'd best start running now, baby," she advised coolly. "Mama's gonna have your hide the second I get this mess cleaned up."

The two delinquents struggled to stifle their laughter, snickering as they remained crouched outside the bathroom. An errant giggle burst forth from Colby. She covered her mouth, eyes wide, but it was too late.

"The both of you better get your fannies out to the field. Your daddy and Rick wanna have a word."

The dread they felt was instantaneous. How quickly joy can become terror.

Maryanne listened as they scampered off like frightened little fawns. The moment she knew they were out of earshot, she began laughing so furiously that tears streamed from her eyes.

She made a weak attempt to collect herself before calling her husband Marty to update him on their boy's antics.

"This is a pleasant surprise," Marty said. "How's my M&M?"

M&M... Maryanne Matheson. Marty had given her this nickname when they'd first married, and she'd adored it. He'd insisted it suited her because she was fun-sized and sweet.

"I think we both know there's usually only one reason I'd interrupt your playtime with Rick," she began.

"What'd he do this time?" Marty asked, waving Rick over from where he'd been tending to an expectant heifer.

Rick Tillerson, Colby's grandfather, had owned this cattle ranch since Marty was just a boy, and was the only father figure Marty had ever known. Though not blood related, the two were thick as thieves, sharing a bond that even a true father and son would envy. Rick had taken Marty on as a stable hand at the age of thirteen when Marty was looking to step up for his struggling family. From that day forward, their relationship had developed into the deepest respect imaginable.

Maryanne recounted her tale of woe, and Marty, being the good husband that he was, howled with amusement.

"Rick and I have it covered," Marty assured her, smiling.

Marty quickly relayed an animated version of Maryanne's story to Rick before they saw the kids approaching. The two men chuckled quietly as the remorseful looking pair reached them. They pasted on the most disciplinary expressions they could muster, immediately intimidating the already timid Colby and Wyatt.