Chapter 38

Colby

It's the first time the squad has been together since the Harvest Festival, and I can already hear the whispers as I approach. My hope is to finish out this practice in peace. The girls are all stretching, save Lana, who immediately weaves her way through the throngs of cheerleaders littering the cafeteria floor with Morgan in tow.

With the football team gathered in various drill groups throughout the hallways, gym, and stairwells for an indoor practice, the girls are bound to get a bit more distracted. Outside, we're far enough away from the boys that Coach Williams can keep us reasonably focused. On days like this, we might as well not bother meeting up at all.

As expected, the football players cat-call at us nearly every time they dash by, interrupting us to no end. I don't usually mind, but today I just want to get it over with.

Lana and Morgan reach me, and I decide to remain quiet until they say what's on their minds. I haven't the slightest desire to speak to either one of them after Saturday night, but I know I can't completely ignore their existence until cheer is over. They stand before me for a moment in silence, the remainder of the squad waiting anxiously for the fireworks to begin.

Morgan shifts uncomfortably, while Lana re-braids her platinum extensions. Her attitude is maddeningly breezy, as if she's done nothing wrong. I've not uttered a word, the tension between us palpable. I refuse to speak before they do, and I swear it's like a standoff, the whole thing testing my already minimal patience. I fold my arms, cocking my head expectantly.

Lana rolls her eyes, sighing. "Listen, B," she begins casually. I wait, raising my brows as her eyes shift from wall to wall, avoiding contact with mine. "We shouldn't have said you're pathetic. You're not."

Her apology is forced and doesn't feel even the least bit genuine. Next to her, Morgan scoffs.

"We didn't say anything, Lana. That was all you," Morgan says, earning a searing glare from Lana. Morgan returns her daggers in unrelenting fashion before continuing. "I'm sorry for my part throughout the week though, B. I really am." She has the sense to look contrite, her gaze dropping to the floor before her.

Lana purses her lips, staring off into the distance. The ire she's managed to harness threatens to snap, her body trembling with anger.

"Anyway," she persists, dragging out the word. "I shouldn't have said that to you, and I'm sorry." She refuses to look at me, which tells me everything I need to know. Her words are simply to pacify me.

"What about Wynn?" I demand.

Lana laughs, finally having the nerve to meet my eyes. "Pretty sure everything I said about her was accurate," she says in defiance. "I guess I shouldn't have called her a boyfriend stealer, though... Well, technically she was, seeing as Cole knocked her up while the two of you were having your little fling."