Chapter 21

Wyatt

"Gimme this," Colby whispers seductively, and her face is so close to mine that we're breathing the same air. I'm momentarily distracted by the wild gleam in her eyes and the feel of her fingers brushing against my chest.

Big mistake.

She wrests the rope I'm holding from my hands before I even have a chance to recognize this was her objective all along.

Hell, you beguiled pinhead, focus!

She backs away from me, winking before she turns to tiptoe toward the stirring guard.

I can tell from where I'm standing in the shadows before the brick wall, that he isn't totally awake. Probably just enough to be a problem for us. Colby continues forward, undeterred. When she steps into the halo of light surrounding the flagpole, I suck in a breath.

She looks like Catwoman, adorned in dark fabric that hugs every damn curve. Her platinum blonde hair spills from beneath the stolen knit cap, falling down her back and rustling in the breeze that's making me shiver.

'Cause it's definitely the breeze that's giving me chills.

She slows as she approaches, casting a grin a mile wide over her shoulder, and I'm about to follow her over when Mari grabs my wrist.

"Let her have a shot at this," she says quietly. "That girl may surprise you."

"Hey," rasps the kid from the ground, sitting up slightly. "What're you—"

"Shhh," Colby breathes, bringing a finger to her lips. She plants her feet on either side of the now sputtering freshman's hips, gently shoving him back toward the ground. "Stay down."

I can barely hear her, and it takes a concerted effort on my part not to go sprinting over there, but I hold my ground and let her do her thing. Besides, truth be told, I'm kinda mesmerized watching her. This is a bold, take-charge side of her that I haven't seen in a while.

I think I've missed it.

"I was hoping you'd be here," she continues. "Jason is it?"

"You can call me whatever you want, baby," he mumbles.

"Mm mmm," she purrs, shaking her head. "Keep it down. We don't wanna wake your friends." She leans toward him. "I want you all to myself."

His eyes go wide, and I stifle a laugh. That poor idiot looks like he's about to wet himself.

"Let's play a game, you and I," she says, pulling the rope from within her jacket. I hadn't even noticed that she'd stuffed it in there.

"W-w-what kind of game," he stammers.

"Well," Colby says, unraveling the rope. "It starts with you folding your hands together. I get to tie you up," she adds flirtatiously.

"Oh, mercy," Mari says, snickering quietly and fanning herself. "I don't think you boys even needed to come."