Chapter 10

ason and the doctor, who’s name I learned was Michael, had been trying to get me to remember what happened two days ago, and why I died. I remembered working on the bomb, but I didn’t remember going out to set it. But, apparently I did, and the bomb malfunctioned and set off. The force of the explosion and the fire got into my lungs and bloodstream, almost stopping my heart. I clinically died for five minutes, meaning that my heart actually did stop beating and everything stopped working. Supposedly, the doctor managed to restart my heart and brought me back to life, but I was in a vegetable state, and I probably wouldn’t wake up.

            I now understood why they were both so surprised when I woke up. The weird thing was that I could talk and move. Usually, after people die and come back to life, they’re not in great shape. But when the doctor checked how my system is working, he said I’d need a couple days of rest to be fine.

            “So,” I said, lying down on the couch with a wet cloth on my head. “Who are you anyway? The criminal doctor?”

            Michael chuckled slightly and shook his head. “Ah, no. I’m a regular doctor, but I owed your boyfriend a favor.”

            I cringed a little at the word boyfriend, because though Jason finally admitted he had feelings for me, we weren’t dating. It was a fake relationship.

            “A favor?” I asked, looking back and forth between them.

            “He used to be in this business,” Jason informed me.

            “Ex Bomber?”

            “Pretty much,” the doctor said. “But after blowing up things, I decided my talents would be better put to use by helping people, so I became a doctor.”

            I smirked a little bit. “Making up for your sins?”

            He nodded. I liked this guy.

            “Well, you’re unusually good to go,” Michael told me, and then he turned to Jason. “You don’t want this happening again, do you?”

            “Course not, man! We’ll be more careful.”

            But the doctor shook his head. “That’s not what I meant. You need to get out of this while you can, Jason. End this life, or it’ll end you.”

            “C’mon, man—”

            “No, Jason. You’re young. You’re only sixteen. You can get out of this before you end up like your brother, or like we thought your girlfriend would end up: dead.”

            “Dude, I told you, I’ll be more careful.”

            “Just think about it, man,” the doctor said before he got his coat and left.

            Jason turned to me, and I suddenly realized how awkward the air was. He told me he loved me, or was falling in love with me.

            “So,” I said, making things more awkward. “You liiiike me, huh?”

            He smirked at the ground. “I do, Natasha. You’re strong. I know you were scared, but you hardly showed it. You kept strong when I uh, beat you that one day—”         

            “Why’d you do that to me?”

            He took a deep breath. “I get angry—a lot. But I was trying to convince myself I didn’t have feelings for you…and I…I—”

            I shook my head to cut him off. “Can I have something to drink?”

            “Sure,” he said as he walked over to the fridge and got me water. He stopped short and kissed me on the cheek, handing me it after. It was sweet of him, and I could tell he was trying to make up for what he did before.

            The next two days of rest the doctor prescribed were like that. Jason was being so sweet to me, obviously trying to make his wrongs into rights, but I knew there was a point that this would end. In a day, the president’s dinner was being held, and we’d have to carry the plan out.

            Though I kind of admitted to myself I may have feelings for Jason too, I didn’t want to. It would all be over once we went through with his plan, and I went through with my own plan, so I decided not to get too attached.

            “What’s that?” Jason asked, looking over my shoulder at the paper I was holding in my hands. It was a diagram of the white house, with X’s and O’s like a football play.

            Jason surprised me, I thought he had been sleeping, but he wasn’t.

            “Nothing,” I said, starting to put it away, but he snatched it before I could try and stop him.

            “Is this the white house?” he asked angrily.

            “Yeah…” I said quietly.

            “Natasha, why are there two different plans on here?”

            “Uh,” I started, but was met by a quick blow to the face.

            What?

            Didn’t he just tell me he loved me? Like, two days before?

            I looked up at him, stunned, and about to start crying, when I realized something. Though Jason admitted his feelings, that didn’t mean he still wasn’t Jason McCann. The same Jason he’s always been, who got angry and lashed out.

            “Because,” I lied. “I was trying to figure out the best route for me!” I screamed, letting the tears flow. I wanted him to feel bad. My cheeks got hot, and I saw the realization on his face.

            He looked down at his clenched fists and back up to me with genuine regret in his eyes. “I—Natasha—I didn’t mean to—”

            “Whatever, Jayson,” I said, sniffling. “When are we carrying out this thing?”

            “Tomorrow. Johnson’s getting the bomb in place, and then that’s where we come in.”

            “Great,” I spat. “Can’t wait.”

            “Natasha—”

            “Save it.”

            He took a deep breath and looked down, guilty. He should’ve been. Sure, those plans were my plan of intersecting the president before he got to him, but that didn’t mean he had any right to hit me.

            I sighed too, thinking about the next day. It would be the day I’d finally be free and save the president, or it could be the day I fail at stopping Jason, he succeeds, and I die in the process.

            Oh joy.

----------------------------

sorry, slow chapter. the next ones will be super intensee(: