chapter 9

My head throbbed as soon as I opened my eyes from my long sleep. I thought I’d just passed out at Johnson’s while working, but for some reason I was in Jason’s warehouse. My body ached terribly, and I could hardly keep my eyes open.  

            I heard voices from across the room, speaking quietly and angrily. I was too weak to turn my head and look over, but when I finally managed to, I saw two guys. One was a bit shorter then the other, with brown hair and wearing jeans with a tan jacket. The other one had a white robe on, and was trying to convince the teenaged looking boy of something.

            “What do you mean you can’t do anything? Her pulse came back, she’ll be fine! She just needs to wake up,” the boy said, flicking his brown hair out of his face.

            “I just don’t think she will wake up, Jason.”

            “Then what the fuck did I hire you for?” he hissed at the man, who I guessed was some sort of doctor.   

            “I’m sorry, there’s nothing I can do. You just have to let her go.”

            Wait, are they talking about me?

            Jason threw his hands up in frustration and walked over to the couch across behind me, sitting down. He put his head in his hands and bent down between his knees.

            Is he crying?

            I slowly and painfully turned my head to look at him more. He couldn’t see me looking at him, but he brought his head up slowly to look at the older guy.

            “Doctor, I understand you’re in a tough position,” he said slowly. This wasn’t Jason. That wasn’t the Jason I knew. He would be yelling and screaming and throwing a fit. But no, this Jason was speaking calmly and rationally. “You used your equipment here and you know what it is I do. But may I remind you, I know what you used to do. My brother worked with you, remember? I can tell them what you did. Alex is dead now, it won’t hurt him.”

            There’s the Jason I know and can’t stand.

            “Do you think that telling the police will do anything to help her?” the doctor asked angrily.        

            “It might—”

            “Do you, Jason?” he asked again, shaking his shoulders. Jason shrugged him off and looked toward the ground.

            “No,” he said quietly.

            “What was that?”

            “No!” he yelled now, looking back up at the doctor, who sighed.

            “I’m sorry, McCann, but you know the dangers of the business as well as I do. If you didn’t want your girlfriend to get hurt, you shouldn’t have brought her into it.”

            “I didn’t mean for her to—in the beginning, I—ugh!” he finally screamed in frustration and threw his head back into his hands.

            “She can’t be gone, man! She can’t be!”

            I gave it a few more seconds before I turned my body to face his.

            “J-Jason?” I said, eyes fluttering open. They both looked towards me with confusion as Jason took a cautious step toward the couch I was lying on.