18

MAVEN

When I woke up, I was surrounded by Leo, Calamity and two other that I didn't know. My back hurt a lot, and that was when I realized that my wings were gone forever. I felt weak, wounds all over my body refrained me from moving. That damn Eligos!

"Where's Eligos? What about Cristinia?" I tried to get out of bed but was stopped by Leo and Calamity.

"He's dead." Leo told me. "As for the animal girl, Calamity erased her memory of the past fight, and I sent her back to the mortal world along with the other three after Eligos was dead."

"Thank goodness." I sighed in relief. "Dead? But who--"

"He did." Leo gestured at a figure stood behind him, knowing that I would like to know who Eligos' killer was.

I felt intimidated just by looking at him, as if he could kill me just by one look in the eye. He looked exactly like Leo, but paler and crueler. He emitted the strongest evil vibe I had ever felt, that was enough to make me shudder in fear. That was the thing that made me realize, this man, was no ordinary.

"Demon lord Astrelham." I spoke out my thoughts.

He smirked evilly, narrowing his all-black eyes a bit. "Percival's daughter."

"You only come when Eligos was on the verge of death. How great of you." I said without giving any thought to it. It seemed that my mouth had mind of its own, and sometimes, I wanted to sew my mouth for speaking without any control.

I thought that I would die at that very moment, for speaking rudely to him. But he just rolled his eyes. The demoness beside him jusy chuckled while Leo was ignoring us.

Calamity sighed. "You, no doubt, are Percival's daughter. You even inherited his trait. Why are the Royales like to be rude to the demon lord?" She said the last line to herself.

"It wasn't my job to fight him." The demon lord said, simply. "After all, you are the one who weakened him, and prevented him from taking over this realm. I, Astrelham, thank you for that." He bowed a bit. "In return, you will have the privilege to stay here, getting all protection from us."

I stood up despite my condition and walked out of the chamber. "Thanks. But no thanks."

"But Mirabella," the demoness beside the demon lord spoke up this time, "you can never go back to Adreinn with that appearance. You have nowhere to go."

I stopped and turned to her. "Who said of going back to Adreinn?" Then I exited the room, still hearing them talking.

"Bold. I see know why you attracted to her, Leonard." The demoness said. "She is something else and I like it."

"She is unique and that is what makes her beautiful." Leo said. "Don't worry, Calamity. I will take care of her."

"You will." The demon lord spoke. "She, who has done a lot to this realm, must be protected. Stay by her side, Leonard."

I mentally sighed and walked out of the tower.
------------------------------------------------------------
Somehow, I managed to get out of the demon realm. I could feel the soft wind brushing my face as I was searching for the four of them. Then I suddenly remembered something that my demon self said, about sacrificing.

"In return, you have to sacrifice something important." She said.

"And what's that?" I asked.

"The memories of your people in Adreinn."

"But that was--"

"You want to control your power or not?" She said, smiling a creepy smile.

A hand was placed on my shoulder, snapping me back to reality. Leo. He was already by my side, without me noticing it. He looked at me and I tried my best not to think about the conversation with my demon self, but it didn't work.

"Your demon self is right, you know. You have to sacrifice something. Like my mother said, there's nothing good come from making a bargain with us demons." He said.

"Mother?"

"The demoness earlier. She is my mother, Myantha the demoness of misfortunes." He said and he told me about what Myantha did to me while I was unconscious.

"Something valuable, huh?" I said. "She took my human form." I touchex one of the horns on my head.

"Here." Leo put something around my neck. A pendant I knew so well before it shifted to a sword named Annihilation. As far as I remembered, the sword was broken when I struckit with my power. Maybe that was why it returned to its original state. "I found it on the ground. Thought you might want it back."

"Thank you." I smiled at him. "They will be at peace now, won't they?" From the corner of my eyes, I saw he nodded, knowing that I was talking about my father, Queen Avis and Dane.

"There you are!" Ivetta shouted from a distance and ran to me. "You're safe. And you look different. A good different."

Then, Jerry, Lawrence and Cristinia joined in. It appeared that all of them were safe, although there were wounds all over them. It looked like they succeeded on destroying Eligos' minions.

"Come on. Let's go back to Adreiin." Jerry said.
-------------------------------------------------------------
When we were inside the barrier, I just stood there beside Leo while the others were walking happily toward the castle. Leo decided to stay with me, he told me.

"What's wrong, Maven?" Ivetta said, after seeing my expression.

"I guess we have to part here." I said, standing tall and refusing to be sad.

"What do you mean?" Cristinia said, confused.

"I can't go back to Adreinn, to rule with this appearance. This is the cost of all this." I looked at Jerry. "You have to take the throne, Jerome."

They were speechless, staring at me as if I would tell them I was only joking. I felt sorry for them but it had to be done. I gathered my power and chanted the spell.

"Dilegian séo riceiu gemyndum."

Small white lights  ascended from every part of Adreinn and disappear into thin air. The memory of the people.

"Since you are not originally from Adreinn, I will not erase your memories." I said, sensing that they wanted to ask me about it.

"Will we ever see you again?" Lawrence asked.

I looked at Leo. He just smiled a lopsided smile. "Yes, if the fate decides." I turned around to go outside the barrier with Leo. Then I turned around at them for the last time. "I wish you guys every happiness." They smiled at me and I walked away, never looking back at the kingdom.