15

MAVEN

I went straight to Calamity as soon as Leo asked me to. Calamity's wounds were almost completely gone when I got to her side, but she still looked exhausted. It seemed like Leo's healing magic couldn't restore her energy and stamina.

Feeling that Calamity was fine, I took a look at Leo. He was busy fighting with Eligos. It was as if the fight was one-sided, with Eligos being pushed around by Leo with his new-found behaviour. This was the first time I have actually seen this thrilled to a fight, almost as if he was enjoying the fun of smashing Eligos around. He was so... so bloodthirsty--

"You scared of him. Leo, I mean." Calamity suddenly spoke, making me immediately turned to her. I didn't have the courage to answer because it was true. "You have the right to be."

Tilting my head to the side and narrowing my eyes, I questioned, "What do you mean?"

"Leonard was a bloodthirsty demon, Mirabella. It's his true nature." She answered after a while. "Even more than his father, Lord Astrelham. He, sometimes, got bored of all the killings, but then he would do it all over again. There was one time that he destroyed all the weaker demons here. It was a long time ago. But the demons here still terrified of him. Even his father couldn't control him, let alone me who he assisted for a long time.

"But a while after Lord Astrelham forbade me from going to the mortal world, I could see him changing. He always went to there. Almost every time. And when I asked him, he just gave me a small smile and went away. We of the demon clan were shocked of the sudden change, shocked because the most bloodthirtsty demon become softer. And now, I know why."

I just stayed silent, waiting for her to continue the story. It was not always I would hear about Leo's life. Now when I had the chance, surely I would not just throw it away. The sound of someone smashing something against the floor didn't take away my interest towards Calamity's story.

"It's you." She looked at me, smiling. At first, I thought I misheard her words. But she just looked at me with soft eyes, making me eventually believed what she just said. "Love is powerful. People shouldn't doubt it. And I believe that love changes people. After all, I am one of the victims."

I was silent for a moment, thinking about what Calamity had just said. There were times that I doubted the existence of love, doubted that even a bit of love would not affect someone's life. But I was wrong. Dead wrong.

"I saw a portrait of you back in the castle in Adreinn." I spoke my thought.

"That's why you were shocked to see me." She chuckled. "Percival had many skills. Painting was one of them. That was one of the things that attracts me to him."

She looked excited when it came to my father. Her eyes shone bright and her smile became wider. She really did love him. I had many more questions I wanted to ask her but the intention was forgotten when I saw Calamity widened her eyes at me. She looked horrified but it was later I realized that she wasn't looking at me. I turned to the direction she was looking and saw Eligos, sucking out the magic power and life force out of Cristinia.

I felt an enormous power in me, urging to come out. I was outraged. Cristinia sure was annoying, but she was still my friend. Eligos had killed my father, Queen Avis, even Dane. I didn't want any of my friends to be killed anymore. I lunged at him and attacked him with the Annihilition.

I didn't know how, but I finally got control of my demon power. As Eligose was stunned and caught off guard, I slashed him with Annihilation. And again, and again. Because of me, he had several severe injuries. I let out all my demon powers and attacked him. When he realized what was going on, he let go of Cristinia to defend himself.

I admitted it; it felt good to like this. Maybe this was what Leo felt every time he fought.

"Mirabella." Eligos panted. "But how...?"

I took time to feel my current self. Wings on my back, two horns on each side of my head, my hair lightly brushed my feet; my demon self had taken over.

"People get stronger. It takes time but it will be worth it."

He growled to that and chanted one of his spell at me. I easily avoided it but my sword was thrown away from my hand because of it. Since I was in my demon form, I easily became outraged, and chanted one of the memory manipulation spells.

"Gedrysne séo unrihtyblác, ó gemynde."

Eligos' went blank for a second, as if he was figuring out what had happened. He widened his eyes and put his hands on his, trying hard to remember something. "I can't remember any of my spells! Why can't I remember them?" He glared at me, sensing that I did this to him. "You! What did you do?"

"I have the memory manipulation power. The spell I used on you is meant to vanish magical powers from ones' memory." I said smugly. "You will no longer be able to use your damn power. You are now powerless."

Since the beginning of the fight, I could feel Eligos' murderous aura. But now, the aura increased sevenfold. He slowly went down, as if to pick something up. When I saw the thing he wanted to pick up, my blood was drained out of my body.

He's going to take the sword! Both of us tried to reach for the sword but luck was on his side. I never noticed that the sword was so far away from me.

"Annihilation." He said its name, as if it was a spell to help him win. "Perfect. Your own sword will be the one to annihilate you." With a great force, he slashed it towards me.

I tried to avoid from getting hit by the attack as Leo shouted my name. A swirl of memories swam through my head, a direct warning from my demon self.

"You musn't lose your wings. It will weaken your demon power."

But it was too late. My beautiful dark wings had perished.