Hurricanes (Book 2 of the Mark Sheehan Trilogy)

The Girl Who Flew For Love

Yesterday, an unknown female, aged around 29, pulled the emergency brakes on the 9.45 train from London to Edinburgh. Halting the train before it left the station, she then proceeded to have a conversation with an unknown male, aged around 29, before launching herself over the construction site of the new piping system that has been going on for nearly six months.

It isn't very often that we hear about modern day love-stories in this day and age. Only on the rare occasion do we hear of couples that do crazy things in the name of romance. But it seems that those days have changed as what seems like an act of passion caused the train to be delayed a whole hour whilst engineers attempted to fix the damage these love-birds created.

Innocent bystanders believe to have heard the male and female having a conversation about their love life. One witness states that the male was declaring his love for the female and had been chasing after the train as it began to leave the station. A passenger on the train confirms this and told our reporters that the female had been screaming for someone to stop the train, and upon being ignored decided to take matters into her own hands.

She also took a death-defying leap in order to get back into the arms of her beloved. Risking her life, the daring young woman launched herself across a hole full of steaming pipes and broken wires. One wrong move and her life would have ended. But her knight-in-shining-armour saved her, pulling her into his arms before engaging in a kiss that would have challenged Sleeping Beauty and her Prince Charming.

As romantic as this all seems, one begs the question as to why our mystery woman was on the train in the first place. If love was truly in the air, why would she have been leaving? What forced her hand to leave her one true love, just to be chased down and dragged back out of her escape? Many people believe that this was just a stunt, set up by trained actors to see how their unsuspecting audience would react. And it seems that this could be nearer the truth than we may think...

So, is this an act of true love? Or was this just an elaborate and clever lie? That's up to you to decide.

I sigh, pushing the newspaper aside. Even three months on, that story still annoys me. I don't know why we keep it. It's just humiliating to read. Why do news-reporters always romanticise everything.

Funnily enough, it isn't the part about us potentially doing all of that just to get some attention from onlookers that bothers me. I mean, that would actually be quite interesting. I'd actually sit down and watch a programme like that on the television. I love hidden camera programmes, ever since Glen showed me that one a couple of weeks ago...

No. The part that bothers me is the fact that everyone seems to think that I did it because I love him.

I don't love him. I can never love him. I don't have the capacity to love anyone. There's something in my heart that stops any potential feelings of this 'love' from ever happening. Something so dark, so tormented that it kills any functioning part of my heart apart from the necessary beating from working. As alive as I feel in my new little world, that part of me will forever be dead.

I want to though. I want to love him. I want to be able to look at him and get that rush of emotions that everyone talks about in films and books. I want to be able to say it back to him after he says it to me. There's nothing more than I want in this world that to be able to tell him that I love him.

But I can't. I never can. And lying to him wouldn't be fair. So life goes on. Him loving me. And me just...letting him.

I get up from my seat at the kitchen table, leaving the irritating article where it is. As much as I hate it, Mark is determined for it to remain in this exact spot at all times. Not really sure why. I guess it could be another straw to grasp. Seeing as I'm a loveless bitch, this article makes me out to be quite the love-sick puppy. And I know he takes as much of those moments into his heart as he possibly can. Makes living in this one sided love-story a little bit easier I guess...