Chapter Nineteen

My heart starts to pound. Another dead Eeke, who could it be? Possibilities flash in my mind. Brinn. Sienna. 

Marcus' voice cuts through my thoughts, "Another dead Eeke?"

Canton looks confused, but doesn't say anything. Miranda begins walking towards the door, "They will be bringing him in here. I need to see this, you two need to stay in here until I give the okay, got it?"

Marcus asks, "Why can't we leave?"

Miranda is already walking through the sliding door, "This is private business. We don't need rumors spreading everywhere. You should be thankful I let you see-" She pauses, glancing at Canton. Canton doesn't know yet. He doesn't know that Josh is dead.

Miranda shakes her head, "Anyway, I need to go. Stay." The door slides shut behind her, leaving me with Marcus and a very confused Canton. 

Canton asks, "What was she talking about? Something about a dead Eeke?"

Marcus and I share a glance. I give him a slight nod. Canton should know. Besides we can't keep it a secret forever, may as well get it over with. 

Marcus clears his throat, "Canton, there's something I need to tell you."

Canton searches Marcus' face, trying to get some type of information. Finally Canton says, "Fine. Just tell me. And, be blunt, bluntness saves time."

Marcus gives him a short nod. "Okay. Here it goes. Josh is dead."

All the color drains out of Canton's face.  All the energy just seems to go out of him. It looks like he has almost melted against the cot he's lying on. "Tell me it's not true." He whispers.

Marcus sighs, "I wish I offie could, I wish I could. I just found out yesterday. I saw him for the first time in years...and only because he was dead."

Canton doesn't cry, but his voice comes out tight, "I...I never said sorry. I wanted to come here and he wanted me to stay. I said we could both go together...he said he had to stay. I told him, there's nothing for us here, we've found out as much information that we could, we've explored as far as we could ever go...he said no because of Dana and Brinn. He thought we could find out so much more for them. I was so mad...I just...I guess according to you, Marcus, I went screaming into the girls' Complex. I never got to apologize to Josh about arguing with him...and now he's dead."

Marcus tries to comfort him, "Come on, I'm sure Josh knew you were sorry. We used to fight all the time, but we knew we were still Rebs in the end."

Canton's brow wrinkles, "Rebs?"

Marcus smiles weakly, "Unknown terms, you'll get used to them. It means friends or buddies. Sorry, forgot you were a Rivie."

Canton nods slowly, like it's all too much to take in.

Marcus asks, "Would you...would you want to see him? They will probably be...disposing of his body soon. So, if you want to see him, you better talk to Miranda soon."

Canton shakes his head, "I don't want to see Josh, not like that. I want my memory of him to be of him alive, laughing, joking around, not...lifeless."

Marcus nods slowly.

Miranda walks through the door, her expression grave. She asks, "Who had the Complex number of 630."

Marcus' face loses all color. "Seth." He whispers, his voice barely making any noise.

Canton's eyes widen, "No, please no."

Miranda doesn't say anything, she just purses her lips. 

Marcus lets out a soft groan, "Are you offie kidding me?" He's not talking to Miranda. He seems to be talking to no one in particular. He begins to shout at the ceiling, "Are you offie kidding me? Please tell me you’re kidding. Two of my rebs gone in two days. What are you doing, Ellen? Is this your plan? Are you going to kill me next? Are you offie kidding me?”