Chapter Seventeen

Dana and I walk silently down the hall. When we walk through the doors of the Eating Hall, Dana attempts to turn back into her bubbly, cheerful self. I can tell it's forced by the way her smile doesn't even touch her eyes.

I wait patiently as Dana grabs a tray and fills it with food. After she's gotten it, we look for a spot to sit. There aren't very many people in here by now, since it's after the main rush. There are only five groups of two or three people scattered at the tables. Dana and I choose a table in the back and begin eating.

Dana talks between bites of food, "It's not that I wanted to be in the same group as Christopher or I agree with everything he says. It's just that I thought it was the only rogue group here. I wanted to do something, so I had to join. If I had known that Miranda had her own group, I would've joined hers before Christopher's."

I nod, "What do you even do in the group?"

Dana sighs, "Nothing really. Christopher just rants about rumors that he's heard. It's offie stupid really, but I thought I could connect with some other people who feel the same way I do. I've considered quitting it. I've only gone to four or five meetings."

"Would you want to join Miranda's group? If she'll let you?"

Dana says, "Of course. I'd love to. I don't know if she'll let me now that she knows that I was part of Christopher's, but Miranda's group would be so much better. I bet they actually accomplish something."

A girl comes over, sitting next to Dana with a smile. We quickly change the topic to small talk.  The girl who joined us babbles on and on.

Dana smiles mischievously and mouths, "It's just like offie Free Hour with Kate."

I have to hide a laugh. The girl, oblivious to it all, continues to chatter on.  After we have finished the meal, I send a Notice to Charlotte, telling her where I am. I yawn as Dana and the girl keep up their mindless talking.

A couple minutes later, Charlotte walks through the door. She makes her way towards us. "Hey Rebs. How's it going?"

After making some more painful small talk for a couple of minutes, Charlotte checks her Notice. "Wow, it's already past the tenth hour. We should really be heading back to our bedrooms."

Dana voices her agreement and everyone stands. Charlotte and I split away from Dana and the girl.

Charlotte leads me down the hall saying, "Now, remember you moved to a Rivie bedroom.  I don't know how many people will be in there tonight, the numbers are always changing. There will also probably be one or two other R.I.s."

I nod numbly and yawn again. Charlotte laughs, "The time schedule is a little different here in the Unknown than it was back in the Complex. We tend to need a lot more energy. Although there's no one actually forcing us go to sleep, a lot of people just choose to so that they have plenty of energy for the next day. People grow up here pretty fast."

Charlotte holds presses her Notice against the a scanner at the door. She whispers before we enter, "Be quiet. Some girls are probably already sleeping." 

We slip through the door. It's dark inside the room, but not too dark. I can just make out the shapes of girls sleeping on the bunks, just like in the Kitchens bedroom, there are mattresses covering the floor. Charlotte surveys the room. 

She speaks quietly in my ear, "There's a bed open right over there," she points to the other side of the room, "you can have the bed and I've sleep on one of the mattresses on the floor."

I nod and make my way around the mattresses to the other side of the room.  I finally reach the bed.

I lay down, trying not to wonder who slept here last night. I close my eyes. Sleep doesn't seem to want to come. Even though I am exhausted, my brain doesn't want to be quiet. I can't relax, events from the day keep coming back.