Chapter Eighteen

Miranda goes rigid. I can tell she's staring at me but I don't risk a look at her. Bridget doesn't seem to notice and continues, "At least, I think Brinn killed her, didn't she? I mean, she was breathing so quickly and screaming and thrashing and then all of a sudden, she just went still."

My mouth is too dry to respond. I just stare at Bridget with my mouth open. Bridget looks slightly confused, but begins talking again, "Do you think Brinn meant to? I don't know Brinn at all, but it didn't seem like something she would do."

I swallow hard. "Brinn didn't mean to."

Bridget doesn't waste time to ask another question, "Do you remember it at all? I got the red shot that was supposed to wipe my memory, but it didn't work."

I ask, "Do you remember anything other times that the red didn't work on you? Like when Canton ran through the halls on the girls' side of the Complex?"

Bridget nods. "I remember him doing that. I was so scared. But the blue worked on me, I remember that horrible pain, that's for sure."

"So that red has never worked on you?  But the blue does?"

Bridget nods again. 

I open my mouth to ask another question, but Miranda steps forward. "Bridget, what are you talking about?"

Miranda is looking at me when she asks it. She's watching my reaction. I do my best to keep my face clear of emotion. 

Bridget only looks confused, "Didn't Piper tell you about it? I would have thought it was important...or do you not remember it, Piper? Wait, you would have to, you didn't seem at all surprised when I mentioned Brinn killing the Official...Piper, why didn't you tell Miranda?"

Miranda gives her a fake, bright smile, "I guess it must have never come up in the conversation."

Bridget shifts uncomfortably, looking at me helplessly. 

Miranda presses on, "I'm sure Piper didn't mean to leave it out.  You can tell me anything, Piper won't mind."

Bridget hesitates, still wary. 

Miranda adds, "And, of course, I'm the Leader of the Unknown, so you can't really say no to me."

Bridget slumps against the pillows holding her up. She address me, "Piper, will you forgive me?"

I bite my lip, "Since she's forcing you, I don't see how I could blame you."

Miranda turns to glare at me when I say forcing. I smile innocently at her. She turns back to Bridget. 

Bridget sighs and says, "We have Profession Tests in the Complex. You see, in the Complex we don't get to choose our Professions-" 

Miranda cuts her off, "Yes, yes, I know. But nobody can remember their Profession Tests. The Officials wipe everyone's memory of it after they take it. We have no idea what they are even like."

Bridget slumps even deeper into the pillow, "Well, I guess today's your lucky day. I, and I'm guessing Piper, remember our Profession Tests..."

Miranda's eyes narrow, "Your memory didn't get wiped?"

Bridget nods. "They give me the red shot, but somehow, I still remember."

Miranda begins pacing again, thinking. "Are you sure it wasn't just a dream? The Nurses told you what those were right? You don't have Vita when you're with the Ecru, you could have dreamt the whole thing?"

Bridget points out, "If it was just a dream, how did Piper know what I was talking about?"

Miranda and Bridget both stare at me. I take an involuntary step backwards. Miranda asks me, "Do you remember your Profession Test?"