Chapter Twelve

Charlotte greets me and we walk out of the room, leaving Miranda pacing with narrowed eyes. I am beginning to wonder what else Miranda does besides pacing and narrowing her eyes. Charlotte takes up her cheerful chatter, "So, I was thinking, instead of doing Odds the rest of the day, we could figure out how you want to wear your hair."

I nod. I definitely don't want to cut my hair but I like the way the ponytail swings as I take steps.

We walk back to the room labeled Showers: Fe. It is warmer in this room than in the hall, but the overwhelming heat doesn't hit me this time. There is only one girl sitting on a stool, fiddling with her hair.

She starts as she hears the door slide open. After she sees Charlotte, her face splits open in a grin, "Charlotte, I'm so glad it's you and not someone sent by Christopher. I completely overslept, it's already the eleven. Christopher is going to be so offie mad. I'm in for serious trouble."

Charlotte frowns, "If you are late, why are you messing with your hair? Shouldn't you be running down to the Fields?"

The girl shrugs, "Hey, I'm late already. May as well be late and have nice hair."

She grins mischievously and expertly braids her own hair, her fingers flying. After her hair is secured, she slides off the stool and jogs lightly out of the room, with a, "Bye Charlotte."

It seems to me that if people don't know you in the Unknown, they don't make too much of an effort to get to know you. Or maybe, they just mind their own business.

Charlotte shakes her head, trying to seem disapproving, but a small smile flits across her expression. 

"Oh well, that's Kayla logic for you. So basically Piper, you don't want to be like that or your Pros Council will be very mad."

She motions towards an open stool. I hop up.

She continues, "So, you don't want to cut your hair, right?"

"Right."

"That's fine. Most girls pick one or two hairstyle that they like, and then do their hair that way every day. Although some girls do at least ten different hairstyles. You won't have much time to mess around with your hair in the morning, unless you want to get up early, which most girls don't. How do you like the ponytail?"

I shrug, "It's okay. I'd like to try some different things though."

Charlotte bobs her head, "Right, now there are only so many hairstyles I can do. Some girls know how to do some hairstyles, other girls know how to do other hairstyles. Girls will teach you different styles over time. But I will show you some basic styles."

We spend the next hour or so brushing my hair, twisting it, braiding it, twirling it. My fingers fumble with the strands of hair. Charlotte patiently teaches me, laughing when I groan as I miss threads of hair.

My stomach growls loudly and Charlotte breaks into a collection of giggles. She smiles and says, "I take it that you need some offie lunch?"

"Please, I am so hungry."

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

I shrug, "I guess I didn't want to be rude."

“Rude? Piper, there are very few things you can say to me that I would consider rude. Let's go grab some offie food."

I smile as Charlotte leads me out the door and down the hall. We come into the Eating Hall. 

We have the Mid-Day Meal that we had back in the Complex, crackers with Vita and water. Except here in the Unknown, they have dips and sauces to add to the crackers. It gives the crackers the much needed flavor they are missing.