Chapter Fifteen

"Josh." Miranda says. 

"Josh?" My mouth is open. Josh is...dead?

"I'm not sure, I'm not sure," Miranda says hurriedly. “That's just who I think it might be."

I swallow hard to try to force the tears away, "How? How do you know?"

Miranda says quietly. "I think it would be better if you saw."

She leads me away. I can only wonder what Charlotte's thinking right now. Miranda dragged me away. Does Miranda do this kind-of thing often?

After walking down a series of halls, I recognize the Nurse wing. We walk in. Camilla greets us almost immediately. She doesn't even wait for Miranda to speak a word. She guides us right through the first door on the left.  

My heart nearly stops.

He's worse than Canton.

His dark brown curly hair is matted and dried with blood. His skin is almost clear, showing the blue veins tracing his skin. Ecru blood is smeared all over his arms and legs. Red cuts snake up and down his body.

His eyelids are closed, but it doesn't even look like he is sleeping. He’s so still.

His face is covered in Ecru blood. Not just smeared, but covered. His whole face completely black. Written on his right cheek in red blood, probably his own, is the number 631. 

I glance at Miranda. She's staring hard, struggling to keep her face clear of emotions. 

"How do you know it's him?" I ask.

I don't want it to be true. It can't be true. Josh can't be dead. He just can't.  Josh is supposed to be here in the Unknown helping me, guiding me. Josh was so full of life, how could he have run out so quickly?

My cheek feels wet. I bring up my hand and wipe away a tear. More and more tears come until their streaming down my face. I don't even try to hide them anymore. My nose is running, I think. I begin making a horrible choking noise as I try to bring in air through my tears. I can't help it. 

Josh.

Josh is dead.

Miranda looks at my sympathetically but I can tell she's completely out of her comfort zone. She clearly doesn't know what to do.

I sniff, "How do you know it's Josh?  I mean, Josh has dark, curly hair, but..."

Miranda blinks a couple times, "I don't know for sure, of course. But, we were able to get Canton's number out of him. He said its 632. It's possible that 631 isn't Josh's number, but..."

She pauses as I lean against the wall and slowly slide down to sit. I lay my head on my knees. Tears stream down my legs. 

Miranda continues, "It adds up.  Josh was purposely getting himself sent to the Unknown. Josh's roommate had the number 632..."

Miranda bites her lip. Camilla peeks her head in through the door. She shoots Miranda a quizzical look. I pretend not to see it. Miranda quickly shakes her head.

Camilla backs out of the room. Miranda stands awkwardly by the door as I continue to sob. I try to get myself under control. I take I few deep breaths and wipe the tears away. 

Be strong, I tell myself. You are in the Unknown. Aren't you supposed to be strong? Aren't you supposed to be smart? Is this helping anything? Is crying your eyes out going to make Josh come back?

I'm not sure whether tears stop and snot begins. I'm disgusted with myself. Then I remember, that Josh is dead. I'm alone in the Unknown. 

The tears come pouring out again.