Chapter Sixteen

Miranda's eyes widen. She quickly taps something into a hologram that's floating above her desk. After a couple seconds, she nods. "Right, your number was 629. I'm sorry for not letting you know. I didn't think to check to see if any of Josh's roommates were here.  It's been really hectic trying to figure everything out." She looks at him apologetically. 

"It's okay, I understand. I couldn't do what you do. But, can I see him? He and I were pretty close."

Miranda asks, "His name was Josh, right?"

His voice gets really soft, "Yeah.  It was Josh, Canton, Seth, and I. I was sent to the Unknown right after we started-" He cuts off. 

"Right before you what?"

"I can't offie lie to you, but don't tell anyone. Josh, Canton, and I used to sneak out at night. We were stupid ten years and I got caught."

Miranda types more information into the hologram. She reads something that pops up, "You said you were sent here because you were talking negatively about the Windsors during Free Hour and some Official heard you. That's what you told us when you came here."

Marcus rocks from foot to foot, "Yeah. I was an Eeke, you know? I was so scared right after I got away from those Ecru. I don't know, I just thought that if I admitted to what I did, maybe I'd get sent back or something. So I lied. I was just some scared little ten year, I guess. Once I completely recovered, I just, I didn't feel like it was important to tell anybody the truth."

Miranda types more information into the hologram. She speaks quietly. "Canton is here."

Marcus' eyes brighten. "He is? When did he get here? Why haven't you notified me?"

Miranda takes a deep breath, "He's an Eeke. He's been very violent since he got here. We only figured out his Complex number a couple of hours ago."

Marcus shakes his slowly, "Wow, three Eeke roommates, that has to be a record, righ? Seth is the only one left, huh. I suppose, he always did play it safe. He never snuck out.  He worked just behind the scenes."

Marcus seems to realize that we are sitting right in front of him. "I'm sorry Miranda. I realize that I may have given away some classified information in front of these two girls."

Miranda waves it aside with her hand, "It's fine, Marcus. I would have stop you if they couldn't have heard. They know more about this business than you would expect."

Marcus looks confused. "How would they know stuff about Josh and Canton?  I mean, they're girls.  In the Complex, boys and girls don't mix."

"Apparently they do."

"What?"  

Miranda sighs, "It's really complicated. At the meeting, we will be discussing this."

Marcus nods.

What meeting? I want to ask, but I doubt either of them will answer me. It's probably something that you have to do once you have your Pros.

Unless it’s the rebellious meeting.

Marcus clears his throat, "If it's possible, Miranda, I want to see Canton and Josh."

Miranda seems to be thinking, "Would you be willing to try to get a reaction out of Canton? Maybe you would be able to trigger his memory and sanity?"

Marcus quickly bobs his head yes.

Miranda checks her Notice, "It's a little late. As much as I want to go now, the Nurses will be wrapping up their day and most of them will be eating. Tomorrow, you and I will go, eighth hour." She pauses. "Actually, Piper, I want you to come with us."