Chapter Five

\t's the Fields.  I’ve seen some in holograms in our Teachings, but they never looked like this.

Rows of towering leafy green. Natural color bursts everywhere. I can't even see where the Fields end. They are continuous, stretching on forever.

I realize I've stopped moving. just standing in front of the door. Dana is several steps ahead of me. I jog to catch up to her. There aren't very many people in sight here. Shouts ring out from inside the Fields. I catch glimpses of limbs, flashes of gray, in between the rows. 

Dana smiles, "Corn. It's ground up and used in the crackers and bread as part of the base. We have a huge amount of it because everyone in the Complex, all the Officials, and us in the Unknown eat it every day. So, as we walk this way, you will see corn in different stages of growth. The farther we walk, the younger the corn gets, we plant it at different times so that we always have corn that's ready to pick. The Fields is the Pros that has the most workers, because it's such a big operation. They have to set out the Planters, test the water consistency in the soil, test the chemicals in it, send out soil loosing bugs, and pick all the corn by hand."

"By hand?" I ask, "Don't they have some type of technology to pick it for you?"

"Oh, I'm sure they do, but why would the Heads waste money and technology on us? If we can slave away to get it done, why would they help?"

The rows of corn gets smaller the farther we walk. It is now about as high as my knees whereas before it was practically double my height.

"We also have other crops like wheat, sugar cane, and cotton. Then we have a small garden, that we will arrive at in a minute or so, that is for the Windsors' meals."

The rows of corn cut off, and reveal a patch of ground with short little rows of green.

Dana cuts through the row, "Careful not to squash anything." She shouts over her shoulder. Dirt clings to the bottoms of my shoes.

I pick my way through vines and leaves, and follow Dana to a small building. She pulls open a door and all I can see is darkness inside. 

"Go quickly," Dana commands, "We don't want the mushrooms to see too much light."

My eyes adjust as I shuffle in the small room. 

Dana reaches my side, "This is kind-of like when I snuck out at night, remember? I suppose you never did get to since Brinn backed out." Dana voice comes out strong and hard like I remember it. It's not like that light, bubbly tone she's been using in the halls of the Unknown.

I detect a bit of resistance, conflict running through her words. "Actually," I whisper back, "we did. And we got another girl involved and went to the boys' Complex."

"You got Kate involved?" Dana's voice is full of disbelief, "I would have thought she was completely loyal."

"No, it was a girl from a different room."

"Just wait until Miranda hears about this."

"She already did."

"Really, what did she say?"

"She didn't believe a word I said."

Dana doesn't respond for a couple of seconds. "I never told her." She whispers into the darkness, as if ashamed. "I never told her of what Brinn and I did. I thought I might get Brinn caught. Although, maybe secretly, I wanted her caught, so we could be free together in the Unknown. I thought maybe, she was loyal, since she didn't want to sneak out anymore. I thought she might hate it here and then hate me. I bet that's why Miranda doesn't believe you, because I never said anything..." Dana trails off into the darkness.