Chapter 1: A Night mare

This story is based on Scottish myth. This myth is about the Kelpie, also known as the water horse. The setting takes place in a fictional land quite similar to Scotland.

Some information may be inaccurate or has been purposely changed by me to fit the plot of this story. I do not take credit to the idea of the Kelpie or any other mythical creatures mentioned in THK. Places mentioned are made up, any relation to real locations is purely conincedental. I only take credit for the plot and original characters.

The Heart of a Kelpie [THK] may be told in two perspectives, switching between the two main characters: Anamíon and Logan.

Logan

A pitch black mare leaps out of the salty sea, seaweed tangled in its mane and tail. Water sprays from the mare's nostrils, the liquid flowing off the animal's body. Leg muscles ripple as the horse leaves the ocean. Eyes the color of the sea seem to have a human quality to them. The sound of crashing waves drowns out the sound of hooves against the sand.

A young girl comes into view, walking across the beach. Her dark brown hair flows in the wind, just like the mare's. The horse watches the girl carefully, the ebony head tilted to the side. The teen carefully advances, her movements graceful but firm.

Soon the two are only inches apart. The girl reaches out, her pale hand shaking slightly. Both horse and human are about to touch...

Shouts echo across the shore, ruining the moment. The horse rears, its eyes now full of rage and hunger. Teeth like sharp knives gleam in the horse's mouth. The shouts continue and the girl steps back in fright. Once seen as a graceful horse is now an enraged sea monster.

Fangs sink into human flesh, screams of agony overpowering the sound of the ocean. Soon the darkness comes. And with it, a numb mind.

I jolt awake, breathing hard and fast. The silence in my room scares me, more than anything else. My eyes dart to the window and take in the morning light.

The nightmare has been going on for weeks now, and hasn't changed one bit. I'm starting to get a little worried. Many people in this town believe in omens. It's not hard to believe this terrible dream is one.

"Come down 'ere, Girl!" Mama screeches from downstairs.

"Comin' Ma." I quickly reply, not wanting to irritate Mama. She always knows what I'm doing or where I am. It's creepy in my opinion. Not that I would ever say this to her face, but she can be more ridiculous than trying to ride a Kelpie. Most of what she says ain't true. When I do something wrong, I get a smack and a scolding. She's always lecturing me on how to be more helpful in the house. I can't help 'cause I'm always helping Papa with the horses. Our family is built on horse breeding and training. Papa's family has had horses for a real long time.

Papa says that Ma was a beautiful young girl who loved horses. She came from the south with her father to start a business here. Apparently my parents used to ride together and help train some of the horses. But when Mama's father died a few years back, well, that changed everything.

I'm not the only child. I have two siblings. A younger brother, and an older sister. My brother, Aidan, and I have my mother's dark brown hair and pale skin. I get my pale grey eyes from my father while my brother gets his brown eyes from Mama. My older sister, Katherine, has Papa's blonde hair and hazel eyes from who knows who. In height, I'm just an inch or two below my father, making me taller than everyone else in my family.

Even though Aidan and I look more like our mother, we both act more like Papa. Ever the exception, Katherine acts more like my mother. Both of them are always nagging me to get a man and to stop working in the fields. Mama and Kat are just fools if you ask me. Nasty fools at that!