CHAPTER 17. SYLPHIDE

I escaped from the window and chased after Alec, he waited at the side of my house crouching low. With a nod, he gestured for me to run left, through backyard of my neighbor, then he took off in jog. I sprinted after him, trying my best to ignore the sting of my bare feet. We ran through yards and then back roads of town until we reached the local High school; its back facing the Chippewa Forest. We were about to enter the forest and make the long trek back to the settlement. I whined for him to stop, and we did, barely long enough for me to catch my breath. Alec turned his noise up to the sky, and sniffed the wind.

“What is it?” I asked nervously.

“Guardians. I could pick up that stink anywhere.”

Gulping I asked, “Does that mean they are close?”

“Very close, if we are lucky…they might not have our scents. Lets push on.” He said grabbing my arm and pushing me forward. I let out a big sigh and started jogging in the direction we pushed me. Alec and I made our way into the thickly grown underbrush and then into the labyrinth of trees of the Chippewa National Forest.

We walked briskly for awhile, that is until my feet began to ache and burn. They were suffering from the cold and previous injuries and now after running all day my body was decided to call it quits.

“I don’t think I have enough energy for this,” I said, gasping in a defeated tone.

Alec turned and sneered at me. The look he gave me suggested he was disgusted by my weakness. Or perhaps, disgusted with me in general?

I managed to ask, “what? You’re not the one without shoes! I have splinters and thistles digging into them. My feet are dead,”  I said, as I plopped myself down on a mossy log trying to pick at them.

Alec stopped to watch me. He looked less than impressed.  His head tilted to the side as he watched me struggle. At first I thought it was cute; like he couldn’t understand what exactly I was doing. However, when I looked into his eyes I saw the emptiness within him. He reminded me of something mean. Something sick.

Like a little boy I had once played with. He had found an injured cat. I knew he was hurt and I wanted to go home and tell my mom. But the boy was curious, and begged me not to leave. I didn’t for some reason. I watched in horror as the boy poked at the hurt cat with a stick. In spite of my pleas and the cat’s yowling the boy wouldn’t leave it alone. I ran home screaming all the way. I still remember the look on the boy’s face; it being the very same expression as Alec’s face right now. Sick amusement.

My eyes grew large and began to water at the comparison. “Stop looking at me like that.” I said in a shaky voice. It was making me sick, making my skin feel too tight.

His expression didn’t change, but he at least turned his back to me. “Spare me your scared owl bullshit Jamie.” I stared at the back of his head, I wanted so much to grab a handful of his dark hair and rip it out. If I ever thought that Mikhail was infuriating, Alec is even more so. He made it so easy for me to hate and fear him.

Interrupting my line of thinking he said; “Its about ten. We need to get going.”

“Back to the settlement?“ I asked as I attempted to stand up. Testing the ground for a soft patch of moss or grass with my tender feet. “We’re not going to pull this off.” I said to initiate some conversation.

“Have some confidence.” As he waited for me to get my bearings, he patted down the pockets of his pants as if looking for something. “Shit, I’m outta smokes.”

I glared at him; thinking to myself how stupid it was of him to be worrying about cigarettes at a time like this.

“Yeah, I’m really confident about this little partnership of ours. How do I know your not going to stab me in the back?”