CHAPTER 14. HOME COMING

All human emotions and reservations had left Little Red. Instead what was left was an animal. A beast, whose hunger was deeper than any ocean. A beast whose instinct was stronger than it's own will; a beast who reveled in the moonlight. The Huntsman new that he had summoned a curse upon the land and upon Little Red for all eternity.

By the time I had run home, it was near dusk. The sky above me looked more beautiful than any I’ve ever seen. An explosion of oranges and reds spread across the horizon sharing an orange glow with everything it touched. Even my house looked the same despite the ethereal glow. Another ordinary two story house painted an off-white color; with freshly cut and watered grass, simplistic silver mailbox, its blue shutters the only outward sign of creativity.

Nobody would guess that two homosexual men lived inside. One of which, loves the country themed design of rooster and chicken themed décor in the kitchen. Each oven mitt adorned with picturesque images of fowl. While Fred, on the other hand, decked out the living room with the latest contemporary styles. Such as the Glass coffee table and his damn coasters. If I had thought it was safe to set down a soda can on the table he’d appear from no where to gently remind me, “J.D, that’s why God created coasters. Use them.”

The porch light flickered as bugs danced around its luminescence. I too felt drawn in. As if I were a ship being guided by a lighthouse beacon. I walked straight up to the front door, and raised my hand about to knock on my own door.

No, I’m not a stranger, I’ll be using a key.

Finding the spare key was a simple enough, if you knew where to look. Picking up a blushing gnome from Fred’s flower bed, I turned him in my hands until I found it tapped to the bottom of his feet.

Placing the gnome back into his place, I returned to the front door. The key fit perfectly inside the lock, turning it once to the right I heard the mechanism within clank. Carefully turning the knob, my front door opened without a fight. My home has always had its own smell. Like firewood; since we have no electric heat we use a wood stove (Dean insisted that it would save money in the long run.) Yet as I entered my home a plethora of different smells attacked my nose.

Firewood, cinnamon, cat box, Heather’s hairspray, my perfume that sat on my desk, Dean’s socks, the smell of ink from Fred’s office, clean laundry from the laundry room, blue toilet water, my gym bag, Heather’s----There was so much to take in I became light headed and almost fell over. Staggering inwards I pushed the front door closed behind me. All of the smells kept coming at me, making my nose start to run and my eyes water. It was quite possible I would pass out…

Jamie! Grow a pair of ovaries, its just different smells. You're acting like a pregnant woman!

I know, I know, you figment of my imagination! But it hurts my nose all of the different smells are just too overwhelming.

UGH, idiot…Focus on one smell at a time or something.

I wasn’t sure how in the hell I was supposed to do that. I was reminded, of the time when I was trying to sniff out Casey as I passed him in his transformation room. I pictured Casey and his clear eyes and his honey brown hair and I could smell him and only him at the time. Maybe it will work now? Closing my eyes I focused on one smell. Nothing too overpowering, but something that could take my mind off of every other scent. Dad's leather jacket, packed away in a closet. Once I had focused on the smell long enough my inertia slowly dissipated leaving me standing in the entry way cradling myself and rocking like an escaped mental patient.