CHAPTER 3. HIDE AND SEEK

How did the werewolf come to be? Let me share a story with you, one you've probably already heard. This story, however is a darker tale about a young girl, a huntsman, a wolf, and a demon. 

“There is no way I am going to be bait, for a werewolf!” I screamed at the top of my voice hoping that the extra decibels would make my point.

Mikhail winced slightly and replied, “See? You're perfect for the job. You are so loud every creature in the forest knows you are here. Besides that, he has you scent. He'll get a whiff of you sooner or later...Think of it as putting a pie in the window, there is no way he can resist.” I understood, what Mikhail was trying to say, but it sounded like a really stupid idea to me. It seemed, however, that I had no choice in the matter. Not if I need to help him--in order to help myself.

Mikhail managed to fix my car, it was hilarious watching him trying to figure it out. Pretty boys like him do not seem to know much about anything. After a good hour of dinging around under the hood, he managed to re-attach the missing piece and get the car started. I drove us out of the campgrounds on our way closer to town. Mikhail, had a hunch where Alec might be, it was then that he finally told me his great idea on how to catch Alec.

I gave him an appalled look. “So what I'm just supposed to sit there and wait for him to come and attack me again?” I said while trying to keep my eyes on the road.

“Of course not! If I did I would be a conspirator in his heinous disgrace," he answered with a queer smile.

“Whoa what? Too many words Mikhail. Can you just please give me a straight answer?” 

Mikhail shrugged and ran a hand through his thick sandy blond hair.  I could tell that he was deciding whether or not to tell the truth, or if he was going to bullshit me some more. “Alec is a traitor. He disobeyed the clan leader and has exposed our pack. Your not the only hume he’s attacked Jamie. The only difference is that your are the only one who survived.” Mikhail shook his head, as if ashamed. He rolled down the window and closed his eyes- and the wind tousled through his hair. I watched him from the corner of my eye.

He cleared his throat and began again; “Alec has been especially hard to track down. He’s careful, lethal and resolute. But now we have an opportunity. When you survived, Jamie;you left Alec with unfinished business. Now he wouldn’t go into town to finish the job, but I promise you that he has seriously thought about it. If he gets a sniff of you out here, he’s bound to come running. Like I said he’s dedicated--for him, you’re the one that got away.”  Mikhail raised his nose and inhaled the wind that was rushing in. Could he smell Alecsandr out there?

I took a deep breath and did the same. However the only thing I could smell was the car air freshener and Mikhail’s musky after the rain scent. I let his scent fill my nostrils; But what he just said seemed to finally sink in. It was a lot to take in. Alecsandr is a killer and he’s been itching to finish what he started two days ago. It made sense why i'd be the perfect prey. Mikhail said he was sent to “put Alec down,” and if what Mikhail said was true, he’s had trouble hunting him. Mikhail needs me to lure Alecsandr out.

“Alec will kill again if we don’t stop him. You don’t want the death of another person on your conscious do you? Knowing that you could have helped end him?”

I could get over it, my Conscious mumbled in an irritated tone.

Yeah, well I couldn’t! What happened to me was horrifying. What kind of person would I be if I let it happen to another innocent person?

The kind of person who doesn’t go well with BBQ sauce?

...I have to help Mikhail, How can I sit back and pretend that I’m not a part of this?

You are a part of this in a big way. Remember?

 How could I forget? I agreed to go with Mikhail in order to learn my fate. If the plan goes wrong for some reason, and Alec escapes or I die well then it'll all be for nothing. I had to know before it was too late.

If you are dead I guess we really dont need to worry about it, now do we?

That's not really the point, its not knowing that's killing me, I grumbled.

“Mikhail? If I agree to help, will you tell me what I need to know?” There was a long pause before he replied, too long for my taste. Finally he answered, “ After we capture Alec, I’ll tell you all that I can.” 

I couldn’t help but smile to myself. Finally some progress was being made. Although it seemed to come at a hefty price. It wasn't like Mikhail was going to put me in actual danger, right? It's going to be fine, I told myself. We'll catch Alec, and Mikhail will tell me that I was over-reacting, and I wont be turning into a werewolf.

My conscious spat angrily from inside my mind, Sometimes I hate you.

I was taken aback and accidentally said aloud, "What why?" 

Mikhail looked at me with furrowed brows, "Why what?"

"Uh, nothing," I stuttered, ashamed that I let myself slip. Mikhail shrugged his shoulders, turned and looked out the window once more. With a deep sigh of relief, I continued driving down the highway  as Mikhail instructed. That was a close one. My family even doesn't know I have a voice in my head. Usually I was more careful when speaking to her. If it wasn't from within the walls of my mind,  I made extra sure only to talk aloud with her when no one was around. Sometimes though, it was hard to control especially in heated arguments.

I huffed at my conscious, Now see what you've done?

Watch it Jamie, you need me. Someday I wont be there to help, and then where would you be?

Sane maybe?

Say what you will...i'll just keep to myself then.

Her voice quited and I was left alone with my own thoughts. At last it seemed I didn't have her whispering doubts in my ear. After a minute or so of quiet, I asked, “So, Mikhail, what exactly is it you want me to do?”

"Take a left here at Hwy six," Mikhail said with closed eyes. I did as he instructed, and found my car nose down a narrow dirt road that meandered and disappeared into the trees. "We are close, I can practically taste him."

I sneered at the notion, but upon thinking about, it I'm sure it was a normal werewolf thing to say. Shrugging it off, I continued to drive down the dirt road at a snails pace, watching the sun stream the last of its golden rays through the trees. Sunset was already upon us it seemed. It felt like it was only a couple hours ago that I was getting reading for school. Mikhail held his hand up, "Pull over here." I did as he instructed and pulled to the right side of the road. There was nothing around except more road, when we got out of the car, Mikhail threw his head back and took three deep breaths through his nose.

"What are you doing?" I said looking around conspicuously.

Mikhail twitched his nose and smirked, “Hide and Seek.”