CHAPTER 16. SILVER

I had to question my conscious. Do you think he’s telling the truth?

I felt her inside my mind go silent while she mulled over the news and after a few seconds she spoke. It seems like he’s risking a lot to be out here. They would punish him, maybe even kill him if they knew he left the village. But why would he tell us this? Unless there was something for him to gain in the fact from you knowing.

So? Should I listen to him?

Jamie I--I really don’t know. He could be telling the truth and if he is; we need to take this opportunity. Yet keeping in mind that we are dealing with Alecsandr after all.

I asked him straight up, “What do you get from helping me?”

His expression was serious, with no trace of arrogance. “I get rid of the only other person I hate more than you. Sylphide.”

His admittance of loathing me left me unabashed and I shot out a string of questions. “What? Sylphide? What does she have to do with this?”

He grimaced. “Does it fucking matter?” Alec seemed to having a hard time holding back his anger, his nostrils flared as he inhaled. I wasn’t sure if he was about to hit me or scream at me or a combination of both. Sneering he continued, “Equivalent exchange. If you offer up the leader of your soon-to-be-clan, your curse is ended with them.”

“What is it your saying?” I felt my ears pop, as the hair on my arms slowly rose on end.

Alecsandr frowned at my ignorance, he added poignantly, “IF you kill Sylphide, you wont have to be a werewolf after she is dead. Kill her and your free to go back to being a carefree little hume.”

I really couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Alecsandr’s proposition was after all a plan for premeditated murder!

Exhaling, trying to calm my nerves I asked, “OK..lets say I wanted to become a homicide maniac like yourself. HOW? She has guards and--and besides that she’s older than me and probably stronger.” I remembered her well toned body when I first met her in the strange sweat lodge my first night in the settlement, she looks all athletic and stuff, amazing compared to my wimpy bod.

“Definitely stronger.” I paused, and most importantly, I asked myself if I really could kill her? Kill another person for my own selfish reasons? If Alec was really telling me the truth; then this was my only hope. But could I bring myself to do it?

“Its all relative! I can take care of those guardian pricks, and when you meet Sylphide all you have to do is stab her in the heart with this.” Lifting up his shirt Alec revealed a sheathed dagger concealed under his waistband. “Pure silver. One good stab and that bitch will be pushing daisies.”

Alecsandr clutched the silver dagger in his hands; he looked down at the weapon warily, the power it had over a werewolf was enough to even be humble him. I had to wonder, why does silver harm them? I thought about when I stabbed Bowen, and how his hand bubbled at the site of the wound. Is silver poison or something?

Softly my conscious questioned, Jamie? What should we do? Even She didn’t have the answer for this one.

“Can I think about it?” I said weakly. It felt as if all of my energy had left my body, and all that remained was the numbness in my feet and the sting of the splinters in my hands.

Throwing his hands in the air he cursed. “Uh, yeah lets go ahead and think this over awhile.”

I smiled reassured that I would have time to think of another way. “Thanks.” I said.

He scowled and exclaimed, “How dense are you!? The guardians are making their way here as we speak to drag you back to the village and KILL YOU! There is no time to waste.”

“Kill me?! What? why?” I said backing away from him.

Haughtily he replied, “Are you stupid? You broke the biggest rule ever in the Clan!” He paused waiting to see if I could recite the answer. I knew what it was yet I couldn’t bring myself to say it.

“You left the settlement and that’s called desertion, and in case you didn’t know; desertion means death in my clan, I’m sure they gave you that little speech right?”

I did remember Sylphide’s warning... It was in the back of my mind since I decided to leave the territory, but I made up my mind. I would rather die a human than become a werewolf. I knew what would happen to me if I left, but end my life? Would they really do that?

As if hearing what I was thinking, Alec answered coolly; “They’ll kill you. They wont even think twice about it.”

My world has become so rotten and tangled I couldn’t begin to unwind and find my way through it. It felt like a bad maze where every turn led to a dead end. If I stay here, they’ll catch me and I die. If I run, they’ll catch me and I die. If I turn myself in I die. If I help Alecsandr he may betray me and I’ll die. If I do somehow fight Sylphide she’ll probably overpower me and I‘ll die! Every outcome led to death.

Alecsandr watched me waiting for my reaction.

“Jaaaamie? Can I come back in?” My sister called through the door. I totally forgot about my lame-brain sister! How in the hell am I going to explain this to her?

“No more wasting time.” Alec said through clenched teeth. “We have to leave now.”

My bedroom door handle wiggled, and the door cracked open; but before my sister could open it all the way Alec slammed it shut with this body. The sheer weight of him pushed her back, keeping her from entering. Frantically she tried to push against the door calling out to me.

“Whats going on in there! Jamie? Whats happening are you alright?” She wasn’t strong enough to win a match of strength against Alecsandr.

“What are you doing?” I couldn’t believe it, “Way to freak out my sister!” She's gunna think he's a rapist serial killer or something. Course, she would be at least half right.

Alec held the door in place, looking over his shoulder he said; “You cant stay here now! Lulled into a false sense of comfort. We leave. NOW.” I winced at the boom of his voice. “Bring me your desk chair.”

I did as I was told, and Alec jammed the chair under the door knob, baring Heather from entering.

Alec’s eyes darted to the window. “Go.” he commanded grabbing my arm and pushing me towards it.

“I have to say goodbye!” Yanking my arm from his grasp, I quickly turned toward the door.

“Heather--I’m sorry. But I have to go.”

She pounded on the other side of the door, “Go?! Go where?” She wailed.

I looked over at Alec. He shook his head and climbed out of the window. Departing with a threat, “Don’t make me wait.”Frowning I followed after him but I stopped while I sat in the window seal halfway in my room and halfway outside.

“I love you. Goodbye.” I said holding back the tears that began to brim in my eyes.

I ran away from home for a second time. For the last time.

**************************************************************************************************************************

Yo, I hoped you enjoyed let me know if you did by VOTING, AND COMMENTING and if you didn't like it throw a shoe at me or something! ^^ I'd even take cabbage! BTW sorry its a little short but the next couple chapters are gunna be so super awesome it'll make up for it.